Fixing the library error code 913 for Windows users!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

So a big thanks also to “helpingiskind” @HelpingIsKind 

So as far as windows users go, sorry not sure about iOS users here, but the crucial things after updating the windows app for W10+, you need to turn on “Advanced Sharing” in windows, and make sure that your music library whether it’s stored on a NAS or just an ext usb drive, or internal drive is added to your library. So this is the example that helpingiskind gave:

Please right-click on the Music Folder > Properties > Advanced Sharing > Add Sonos Wireless HiFi System to Read/Write:

Then go to Sonos settings on your laptop and add “My Music folder” and it will sync.

Because the android app is terrible, I rolled back to the version 78 and found the .apk for that and then the app works like it’s used to and marries to the W10 controller app nicely….which has also caused the update issues along with the apps for android/apple to be very annoying!

Good luck and lets hope the next update from Sonos makes things nice n easy for everyone..

Hope this helps everyone and thanks to everyone elses ideas across this forum!

67 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m a computer novice and I don’t understand any of this.  I’m getting the 913 error since the upgrade and I’m hoping to find clear, step-by-step directions to re-connect my music folder to Sonos.  How can they have made this so complicated (at least for me)??

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I know, it isn't easy, unless you have knowledge of windows and sharing.... Hopefully it won't be long until Sonos bring out a fix. 

Are you Apple or Android app based Lee?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m Apple.  But I was trying to do this on my Windows 10 computer Sonos app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Just sharing the iTunes folder with the Sonos system did not stop the 913 error on mine.  I had to enable folder sharing with a windows user and then add the folder to the Sonos software as a networked drive, not as the My Music folder, even though it’s just a regular folder on my computer.  This is how I did it:

Right-click the iTunes folder, click Properties. 

Click the Sharing tab. In the top section it shows a folder icon with a Network Path just below it. Click Share.  

A "Network Access" window opens with a drop-down menu. Choose the user account you want Sonos to have access to and what level of permission you want them to have. Depending on your main Windows networking settings, you might have to put the password for this user account into the Sonos software later. I made a new local user account in my main Windows settings and then shared with that user with Read-only permission, because I don't want to give Sonos owner-level permission or my administrator password. Once you've picked the user and permission, click Share.

Back at the Properties for the iTunes folder, copy the Network Path. It looks something like: 
\\Computer\Users\Username\Folder\iTunes

In the Sonos desktop software, go to the Manage menu and click Music Library Settings. A window opens with a list of My Music Folders on Sonos. Click Add.

Click the third option called Networked device (ex. NAS drive).

Paste the Network Path and click Next. If it asks for a password, it wants the Windows user account name and password that you chose for sharing. 

Mine indexed and reappeared in the app once I did all this.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks.  I didn’t understand all of it and I don’t use iTunes, but I’ll see if I can follow it with a music folder (not My Music)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Exact same issue - I think we are approaching class action lawsuit time.

Is it possible to roll back updates?

While I’m griping, I really hate manufacturers who are so disengaged they won’t answer these boards - Kind of like “You guys screwed up, you bought from us, now go figure it out for yourselves.”

Could they possibly be more cynical?

I’m hoping this is just some idiot tech team mistake and not some sort of strategic blackmail to force subscriptions to their services.

I was just commenting to my wife yesterday that since we’re moving to a new house we might want to consider moving away from Sonos for our whole house system. Man, did they make that a no-brainer or what?

Any lawyers out there?

Seriously - Does anyone know the process for launching a class-action lawsuit?

I have a couple of thousand $$$ invested in a music system that might as well be a toaster for all I can get out of it (except the toast part).

If someone has a way to file an action, count me in!

In the meantime, I have a Play 5 and four Play 1's I'm looking to offload.

I'm not a streaming music expert and have zero interest in any app or service other than streaming my own library of mp3's & mp4's from my PC (Windows 10) hard drive.

I do have iTunes (which I loathe) but I store most of my music independently and that's the music library these clowns zapped with their idiotic update.

I'm now actively looking for a solid (S)o-no(S) alternative for my new house - Any thoughts? 

I still can’t get rid of the 913 error thinking that it would take a day to get Sonos to clear and looking for my music folder. I even went to advanced sharing to make sure it was available to share.  I am missing a step or something.

I still can’t get rid of the 913 error thinking that it would take a day to get Sonos to clear and looking for my music folder. I even went to advanced sharing to make sure it was available to share.  I am missing a step or something.

This fix isn’t working for me, either. I’ve changed the sharing settings as described above, restarted my laptop, waited patiently, wash, rinse, repeat, and I still get the 913 error.

Fix doesn’t work for my NAS share :-(

Userlevel 1
Badge

I also found my music library disappeared - mine was on a NAS hanging off my modem to link into the home network. I tried connecting it directly off my PC but that also gave me the dreaded 913 error. I even reformatted my little WD NAS and recopying my music files back into it after it sat there reformatting for 3 hours. Did not fix it - Kept asking for a non existent login and password, and giving me the 913 error

Checking in on the issue - it seems windows 11 disabled/got rid of SMB1 protocols because it is not secure for network shared drives but Sonos ( especially earlier gen products ) NEEDS SMB1 to access the NAS. You can turn it on to try to get it to get it to work but Microsoft strongly suggest you don’t do that and though I tried turning it back on on Windows Features. it did not resolve the issue for me ( I might have missed something ).

Not sure why it took this long for the whole thing to stop working ( I upgraded to windows 11 late last year ) but here we are, no music. The same music library works fine from off a local backup drive on my PC but my NAS might as well be a brick paperweight

And before anyone ask - I have a NAS on the network so that I can use my phone's sonos controller to play music without turning on my PC. So much for that now.

Let me just add.  I’m having the same Error 913 issue on my Sonos system (Apple devices) - can’t get to any of my music files.  I do not subscribe to any streaming music services.  I tried calling Friday afternoon, and waited for over a half hour with no one picking up.  When I called back Friday evening, it said my wait was “60 minutes,” which I’m guessing really meant … “talk to you some other day.”  Now it’s Saturday morning on a holiday weekend - meaning that no one will likely be around “voice”-wise for the next half week.  So much for entertaining guests with my great Sonos system.  Chat is also not available.  I see some suggestions for Windows systems but nothing for Apple systems here, so I guess I’ll just have to wait.  What a cluster****.  I hate updates.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Aikigrl From what I read in other threads while I was trying to get mine to work, I’m pretty sure Sonos stopped supporting SMB1 with the updates because of the security problems. 

For Apple users, this fellow has it figured out.  I followed his instructions, and it’s working!  Click on the link (or image) below.

Userlevel 1

According to Sonos support, the reason for this breakage is that they have, without warning, ended support for http and SMBv1 protocols for accessing network drives, out of a supposed concern for our security. Your network share must use SMBv2 or SMBv3 protocol. This is something you would adjust on the device which is doing the sharing. If, as in my case, this is not a Windows system, the proposed fix for Windows PCs will not be useful even if you are using the Windows application. So for instance, in my case, since my music is on a flash drive plugged into a Netgear router, I would go to the router administration page in my browser (192.168.1.1 in my case) and see whether there’s a way to select the SMB version level.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Aikigrl From what I read in other threads while I was trying to get mine to work, I’m pretty sure Sonos stopped supporting SMB1 with the updates because of the security problems. 

Cool - thanks for that info. That would explain why my previous forced SMBv1 share suddenly stopped working. Any info on any software update for older Sonos speakers that will let us keep the lights on?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Chlorine I already have SMBv2 enabled on my PC build but my controller is still crapping out trying to connect to my ext drive whether connected to my PC or to my router. I have already enabled Samba and specifically SMBv2 on my router.

I am out of ideas. Have anyone got their ext drives working?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Patrick Spence is the current CEO of Sonos. His email is ceo@sonos.com. I have emailed him directly in the past about stuff and gotten a response. My suggestion is to flood is inbox with complaints about this crap.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@dpcook I’d rather not dox anyone but I also don’t want to throw out my sound bar or my Play1 which are still working fantastically when the software is not busted… These b@st@rds are really expensive downunder...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Aikigrl, honestly, I do not feel like this is doxing. Patrick is the man in charge and there are thousands of people upset about this situation. His software people screwed the pooch on this upgrade and if he doesn’t know. which is quite possible, he should definitely be informed.

My perspective is this… My system worked exactly how I wanted it to. Then I did an upgrade and it stopped working. I do not feel that it is my job to sit on a help line for 2+ hours to sort out the issue. My rate is >$200/hour. Is Sonos going to reimburse me for that time? Maybe give me $400 credit towards my next purchase because I have to waste my time on this? I think not.

BTW, his email address is listed on their website so it is not that I am stalking him or anything along those lines.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@dpcook Fair enough if the email address is publicly available. I am the same as you - I like to set and forget, and hope the damn thing continues to work until the sun explodes.

I was very upset last night when I found that I could not play a damn thing on my system after spending days months ago to get the system to work after I updated to windows 11. Looks like I am back on setting my PC to NOT sleep once more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Chlorine I already have SMBv2 enabled on my PC build but my controller is still crapping out trying to connect to my ext drive whether connected to my PC or to my router. I have already enabled Samba and specifically SMBv2 on my router.

I am out of ideas. Have anyone got their ext drives working?

My local library music is on a shared (SMBv2) Windows partition and works with the new (v80.01.11) app and the old (v16.1) app. I documented my steps, fingers crossed this is helpful …

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

When the update first installed, I had my library on my NAS, no artwork, but whatever! Now with the new update I have nothing. If I remove SMB 1, Windows no longer see my NAS.  I use a NAS for the same reason, I don't want to leave my laptop on. Does this mean that when there is a "fix" it won't work anyway?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@press250 thanks for the instructions. I have already set up all the PC settings, the only bit that differs is that my ext hard drive hangs off a modem router which cannot be shared from.

But I think the problem I have is likely the hard drive itself - there is some inherent incompatibility ( ancient WD my passport ) so I am about to retest using a newer drive I bought last year for system backups, and see if that works.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@makinsellajr how old is your NAS? The native protocols might be clashing with the Sonos controller. My little drive works fine with PC and I can read the files off it either directly plugged into my PC or through the router. It’s only the sonos controller that is having convulsions trying to read it no matter where I plug it in.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@makinsellajr how old is your NAS? The native protocols might be clashing with the Sonos controller. My little drive works fine with PC and I can read the files off it either directly plugged into my PC or through the router. It’s only the sonos controller that is having convulsions trying to read it no matter where I plug it in.

It's an old Seagate. Hardwired to my FiOS router. Like I said when I removed smb1 from windows it disappears even from the network. I'm waiting for the dust to settle before calling support.