Software News

Introducing S2, New App and OS for Sonos

Introducing S2, New App and OS for Sonos

Show first post

208 replies

One of the biggest problems with S2 is how it fits in with S1.  For example, I have 3 original Play:5s that won’t go beyond S1.  I have 2 Sonos Ones which are locked onto S1 as a result as I don’t want to break up my ststem.  If I decided I wanted a new Sonos:One to expand my setup, then it will come with S2 and won’t be downgradable to S1.  (Correct me if I’m wrong).  

You are wrong.  It cannot ‘come with’ S2.  Provided it has not been used as part of an S2 system (witch new, it won’t have been) it is compatible with S1 and S2.

Userlevel 2
Badge

So in summary paying for a Hi-Fi subscription to Tidal, Qobus or Deezer does not make sense because Sonos doesn't support it. 

You get lossless audio, but you don't get MQA.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Last but not least, bluesound doesn't use a separate wifi network like Sonos, and I never had any interferences issues. You know the BIG and only excuse used by Sonos support why your system isn't working properly. Obviously you cannot be a sound and network engineers in the same time. Pathetic. 

We have been able to use Sonos on normal wifi as a normal mode for many years now?

Finally I found the solution for Hi-res and MQA streaming compatibility. 

https://www.bluesound.com

Well, you are welcome to MQA.  Pure snake oil.  Better sound?  No - just expectation bias.

Good luck!

Badge +1

Well, you are welcome to MQA.  Pure snake oil.  Better sound?  No - just expectation bias.

Good luck!

Agreed. I have a Tidal trial account right now, running through a traditional hifi separates system that is way better than my Sonos gear and there is precisely ZERO difference between MQA and the standard lossless.

TBH, I’m not 100% sure there is even any reliably detectable difference between the “Hi-Fi” level lossless and the 320kbps stuff. Certainly nobody is going to hear any different through Sonos all-in-one speakers.

As with most ‘solutions’ - they have a tendency to ‘evaporate’...

Indeed no more issue and happy with my real Hi-fi sound. My jazz collections never sound better. 

Last but not least, bluesound doesn't use a separate wifi network like Sonos, and I never had any interferences issues. You know the BIG and only excuse used by Sonos support why your system isn't working properly. Obviously you cannot be a sound and network engineers in the same time. Pathetic. 

You do realize that the Bluesound Node 2i’s inherent noise level means it isn’t even capable of 16-bit resolution, right? :joy:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

TBH, I’m not 100% sure there is even any reliably detectable difference between the “Hi-Fi” level lossless and the 320kbps stuff. Certainly nobody is going to hear any different through Sonos all-in-one speakers.

There have been a lot of studies on this and you are right, the vast majority of people can not distinguish the difference so long as it is 320kbps or higher. I am sure there are some out there that have very very good ears and have some very high end gear that can hear the difference and they of course should be able to choose and enjoy to listen to the lossless. I have tinnitus in both ears so 320kbps is more than fine with me and it also uses up a lot less disk space on my 10TB NAS. On a side note, just about everyone that I have setup Sonos for in their houses/apartments only use Sonos for background music which 128kbps is just fine for.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Anyone on here using URC Total control 2 and upgraded their Sonos S1 to S2 and can comment on if the the Sonos intergration still funtions?

Also anyone care to share how S2 works when internet is down for local music playback compared to S1? 

I am upgrading my system in April to S2 and want to be prepared.

Thx.