Answered

wont skip track

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

106 replies

Morning All,

My sonos 1 in last last few days will not skip to the next track when using Alexa. Works okay if I stream music from my iPhone and ask Alexa to go to next song.

I couldn’t find anything to help and spent the last hour working through the issue.

This is not a sonos issue but an Alexa problem.

I went to the skills section on the Alexa app, disabled the skill. Turned the Sonos off and back on. Re-enabled the skill “sonos” on Alexa. Didn't work the first time but definitely working again. Worked on second attempt.

As I write this, I ensured it is still working!!!

I assume it is a partial server overload at Amazon Web Services due to the current COVID-19 home quarantine situation.

This can’t be a serious comment ? The thread has been here for for more than six months. Moreover, I have a few amazon Alexa devices and skipping on Apple Music works perfectly fine on them. This seems like an Amazon to Sonos to music service integration to me affecting a fair proportion of people. 

When playback is being initiated by voice the route goes ‘ONE/Beam → Amazon Server → Sonos Server → ONE/Beam’. Presumably the skip command is not being passed on to the Sonos server for some reason.

Alexa + Sonos: How it Works

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Same issue here in Germany. Can’t go to next or last song via voice command. Also won’t work when using the Amazon Music App connected to a Sonos speaker. Skipping songs simply is ignored.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Not working here either. Only had my Sonos one for a couple of days, my first foray into their products, an impressive sound, but the lack of skipping on Amazon Music is very poor and doesn’t look like they know how to fix it by the look of this thread. Another problem I have is with dropout every 5 seconds on radio stations on Tunein, but they blame wifi interference, yet other radio stations work fine and it works ok if you play direct from the phone on sonos app, so it’s obviously not that, while the main thread is 8 months old, with still no fix. If they can’t be bothered to fix these issues, I’ll be returning my Sonos One. I planned to buy another for stereo and maybe a playbar and more speakers later on,  but if the support is so poor I won’t bother. They should stop chasing sales and concentrate on fixing their products and the sales will come as a result.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Not working here either. Only had my Sonos one for a couple of days, my first foray into their products, an impressive sound, but the lack of skipping on Amazon Music is very poor and doesn’t look like they know how to fix it by the look of this thread. Another problem I have is with dropout every 5 seconds on radio stations on Tunein, but they blame wifi interference, yet other radio stations work fine and it works ok if you play direct from the phone on sonos app, so it’s obviously not that, while the main thread is 8 months old, with still no fix. If they can’t be bothered to fix these issues, I’ll be returning my Sonos One. I planned to buy another for stereo and maybe a playbar and more speakers later on,  but if the support is so poor I won’t bother. They should stop chasing sales and concentrate on fixing their products and the sales will come as a result.

What we experience seems to be a temporary issue. The thread started 6 month ago but is getting many more posts these days.

By the looks of it the skipping issue occurs in specific areas, it’s not widespread. Investigating will take some time. A viable alternative is to start playback from the Sonos app proceeding via voice control.

Morning All,

My sonos 1 in last last few days will not skip to the next track when using Alexa. Works okay if I stream music from my iPhone and ask Alexa to go to next song.

I couldn’t find anything to help and spent the last hour working through the issue.

I went to the skills section on the Alexa app, disabled the skill. Turned the Sonos off and back on. Re-enabled the skill “sonos” on Alexa. Didn't work the first time but definitely working again. Worked on second attempt.

What do you mean by you turned Sonos off then back on?  I just want to make sure I do it correctly. Thanks. 

Morning All,

Tried it but nothing great to report. Didn’t work for the first time and as you said worked the second time but stopped working again. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

By the looks of it the skipping issue occurs in specific areas, it’s not widespread. Investigating will take some time. A viable alternative is to start playback from the Sonos app proceeding via voice control.

Is that a viable solution when promising “Sonos works with Alexa”? When it clearly isn’t working with Alexa and we can’t get an official statement from either party?

I don’t think a viable solution for voice controlled Sonos speakers is ‘don’t use voice control’ and I would say many others will agree.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

News?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I was wondering same thing. Still same for me. No amount of installing or uninstalling or reinstalling skills or services makes this work. Alexa on Sonos remains unable to skip tracks, inconsistent in resuming, and can’t be relied upon to play music. Often I get only one song...Alexa decides to stop playback.

When using the Sonos app this isn’t an issue. But the Alexa and Sonos combination is very broken. The Sonos skill for Alexa is a real disappointment 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I noticed the following:

• Pause does not work
  • Next song does not work
  • Previous song does not work
  • If you request any of the above, playback stops after the current song

I’m having the same exact issue. About a week or so ago Alexa only replies with “I cannot skip to the next song” when playing on our playbase. Everything is updated, been uninstalled/reinstalled, but nothing has worked. Extremely frustrating. I can’t even skip the song when I try to skip on the Sonos app.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m having the same exact issue. About a week or so ago Alexa only replies with “I cannot skip to the next song” when playing on our playbase. Everything is updated, been uninstalled/reinstalled, but nothing has worked. Extremely frustrating. I can’t even skip the song when I try to skip on the Sonos app.

This. This is my experience too. when it fails with Alexa, the Sonos app then can’t skip either. Why is there no acknowledgement of this from the Alexa skill team at Sonos or any Sonos tech?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Having just seen an app update overnight I got quite excited it might be a fix for this. Apparently it’s just more Sonos branded radio stations. Does anyone need another music source? I need the integration between the smart speaker and the Alexa skill to work with the sources I have, not have Sonos add another level of content.

Perhaps the fact that this was in the works is why it’s been quiet re a response from Sonos?

Sonos Radio isn’t nearly as important to me as Sonos working as advertised with the existing services.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Well add me to this list as I am having the same issues. I also noticed that if I start playing music with Alexa and stop or pause it with the Sonos app I cannot resume play at all. I have to ask Alexa to restart the song. Very frustrating.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well add me to this list as I am having the same issues. I also noticed that if I start playing music with Alexa and stop or pause it with the Sonos app I cannot resume play at all. I have to ask Alexa to restart the song. Very frustrating.

You are on the list now, have you contacted Sonos? 

we need more customers to make the issue more urgent do phone Sonos and get a case reference. Have you updated your devices as there is an new update today.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Just got off the phone with them. Support person was very polite and helpful. They are going to send me some instructions to try and I will see if they work. Case number 00528661.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just got off the phone with them. Support person was very polite and helpful. They are going to send me some instructions to try and I will see if they work. Case number 00528661.

They are polite and helpful just annoying that this can’t be fixed. The instructions will be to ask you what music service you have do a diagnostic test give you a temporary email account to use. Let us know how you get on. Have you done today’s update?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

OK I tried the steps that support sent me, however it still did not work. I still cannot skip not restart the music from the Sonos app. Here are the steps in case someone else has better luck:

Steps: 

1. Unregistered all the speakers from the Alexa app
  2. Then remove the Sonos skill 
  3. Then sign out from Alexa and Sonos
  4. Then go to the Sonos app > settings > services > add Alexa
  5. Sing in to Alexa > add the Sonos skill > sing into Sonos 

Discover devices > try again 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

They are polite and helpful just annoying that this can’t be fixed. The instructions will be to ask you what music service you have do a diagnostic test give you a temporary email account to use. Let us know how you get on. Have you done today’s update?

Yes I have the latest Sonos app update from today. Hopefully we can get this fixed.

Just adding to this long list. All working great until last week. Now no skipping and if I pause I can not restart music without starting from scratch. SONOS PLEASE FIX THIS.

Adding to this.  Had my Sonos One for over a year.  Alexa stopped skipping tracks about a week ago.  She also, won’t let me add songs to my music.  Disappointing to see this unresolved for 7 months.

OK I tried the steps that support sent me, however it still did not work. I still cannot skip not restart the music from the Sonos app. Here are the steps in case someone else has better luck:

Steps: 

1. Unregistered all the speakers from the Alexa app
  2. Then remove the Sonos skill 
  3. Then sign out from Alexa and Sonos
  4. Then go to the Sonos app > settings > services > add Alexa
  5. Sing in to Alexa > add the Sonos skill > sing into Sonos 

Discover devices > try again 

I tried this and it did not work for me either.

I’m in this boat too. Have been for months. thought it was just me until I found this thread.

I think what Sonos need to understand here, is that it doesn’t actually matter whether it’s Amazon or Sonos who are at fault for this problem.
It is Sonos users who are being affected.

It is Sonos users who are looking at the crippled functionality of their Sonos kit, and wondering whether to replace it with Amazon kit.
I’m certainly not buying any more Sonos kit until this is resolved, and if it takes long enough, I’ll start replacing it with something like Echo Studios. And once I start, I’ll replace the lot.

Sonos, this is not acceptable.