Question

Which Sonos to get if I have an Echo Dot?

• 3 March 2018
  • 1 reply

Hello all,

I have the following question: I have 1 echo dot and I will be moving to a bigger apartment soon. I always wanted to have PLAY:1s but now with this new sale they are selling 2 Sonos Ones with Alexa integrated. My question is:

Should I get Echo One since they already have Alexa or should I get PLAY:1 and more Echos? The reason why I ask is because I am not sure if they will "interfere" with each other. I wanted to leave one Sonos in the living room, another in the bedroom and the Echo Dot in the kitchen. Can I control everything in this set up, like turn on lights with my Hue, temperature with Nest or even order pizzas and Ubers?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello all,

I have the following question: I have 1 echo dot and I will be moving to a bigger apartment soon. I always wanted to have PLAY:1s but now with this new sale they are selling 2 Sonos Ones with Alexa integrated. My question is:

Should I get Echo One since they already have Alexa or should I get PLAY:1 and more Echos? The reason why I ask is because I am not sure if they will "interfere" with each other. I wanted to leave one Sonos in the living room, another in the bedroom and the Echo Dot in the kitchen. Can I control everything in this set up, like turn on lights with my Hue, temperature with Nest or even order pizzas and Ubers?

Thanks!

Hi

The advantage of the Sonos One vs the Play:1 & Echo Dot is that you don't need to continually include the room name in the command. e.g. On a Sonos One (Called Kitchen Sonos) the command would be 'Alexa, Play Piano Chill Playlist' and this will play the Spotify Playlist Piano Chill on Kitchen Sonos and any other Sonos players grouped within the app. If Kitchen Sonos was a Play:1 with an Echo Dot then the command would be 'Alexa, Play Piano Chill Playlist on Kitchen Sonos'

There are however some advantages of a Play:1 + Echo Dot of the Sonos One:

- The Sonos One is an Alexa Enabled device and as such doesn't support all of the skills available on an Echo Device, like the Echo Dot;
- You can place the Echo Dot away from the Play:1 which makes it easier to control Sonos with voice control when music is playing.

I have both set-ups in my house and can control all of my Smart Home devices with both the Echo Dot and Sonos One. Personally, I would go for the Sonos One but both players are fantastic speakers and you won't be disappointed with either choice.