When will Multi room support for Alexa arrive?

• 6 October 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
After almost a year of being in the Sonos ecosystem without MRM support I finally stumbled across this:

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/a9acaabd-d5a0-4fdf-b74a-c20cfe4d4ef9/deliver-whole-home-audio-with-alexa-multi-room-music-and-device-targeting

While this post makes the blame sharing between amazon and Sonos relatively equal, at the end of the day, after purchasing the Alexa ‘flagship’ models, it’s been quite the long slog. So! In the interest of putting all of that behind us, the question is raised of when MRM will be supported?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge
Sonos Beam is all about music but most Alexa related music features are not working on it. This is ridiculous. And it seems to me that at Sonos no one cares about fixing this.
Sonos Beam is all about music but most Alexa related music features are not working on it. This is ridiculous. And it seems to me that at Sonos no one cares about fixing this.
It's on the proprietor Amazon to 'fix this' – to release the desired features to third-party vendors, that is.
I've found I can use multiroom by adding then to a group (two Sonos:Play 1). I first tried this and Alexa complained, but after going back in to the group and setting them as a preferred pair (tick all 3 boxes for Sonos) it then worked. I can view control the group as 'all speakers' (the name I gave it) and individually. Looking in the Sonos app it mirrors what I ask Alexa
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've found I can use multiroom by adding then to a group (two Sonos:Play 1). I first tried this and Alexa complained, but after going back in to the group and setting them as a preferred pair (tick all 3 boxes for Sonos) it then worked. I can view control the group as 'all speakers' (the name I gave it) and individually. Looking in the Sonos app it mirrors what I ask Alexa

Please see this explanation: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/an-overview-and-explanation-of-the-new-support-for-alexa-grouping-6817788
Badge
If I create a group called Everywhere, and add a sonos beam, an Echo dot and an Echo show to it, can I then just say: "Alexa, play Elvis on Everywhere" so that the music plays on all three devices?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If I create a group called Everywhere, and add a sonos beam, an Echo dot and an Echo show to it, can I then just say: "Alexa, play Elvis on Everywhere" so that the music plays on all three devices?

Did you look at my post referenced above?
Badge
Yes, but it sounds like you have to select a preferred speaker for the group. I tried this and you can only select between sonos or one of your Echo devices, which means that only that preferred speaker plays the song?
My question is if you can play the song on all devices in the group (sonos Beam, Echo Show and Echo Dot) at the same time.
Yes, but it sounds like you have to select a preferred speaker for the group. I tried this and you can only select between sonos or one of your Echo devices, which means that only that preferred speaker plays the song?
My question is if you can play the song on all devices in the group (sonos Beam, Echo Show and Echo Dot) at the same time.

There is no way to sync play for Sonos and Echos in the same group. Might it be possible in the future? Maybe, but I would doubt it. They have very different sync technology.