Question

when will Alexa/Google would work in South America.

• 28 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant do work in South America on other devices. But Sonos app have them blocked. Why is that? 

If you by Alexa Dot, Google home or other smart speaker they do work on Ecuador. Only Sonos have them blocked on their app. 

​​​​​If I new this I would have bought the Sonos One (SL) version instead. 

​​​

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Fgarces, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. Regarding your concern about Alexa compatibility, kindly check this link for more information. and also check this link for Google Assistant availability on Sonos, these articles get updated from time to time for countries that do support both voice assistant.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos Alexa support has no upcoming countries listed, Google Assistant has one. I find it really weird and disturbing, that Amazon Alexa works fine if I speak to my phone or Echo device and play via Spotify & Ikea (or echo) speakers, but Sonos’s own speakers have been limited out from Finland not because of technical reasons, but something else.

I want to use English anyways, so it’s not a language thing. 

It works from Alexa’s side. 

It works with Spotify. 

It works with Sonos-tech on Ikea speakers.

But Sonos has decided to block me only because they think that my country… isn’t good enough? I dunno. Anyways, for this really weird reason I have to look at other manufacturers products for proper audio. But I guess if sales are not needed, they are not needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Have you tried setting your country in your Sonos profile (https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/user/profile/) to a country where Alexa is working? Say, the UK?

This works for Google Assistant.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @boogey, thanks for the update and I understand where you're coming from. We will have this checked further as a feature request. Rest assured that we'll try our best to improve your experience with our Sonos products.  

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have you tried setting your country in your Sonos profile (https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/user/profile/) to a country where Alexa is working? Say, the UK?

This works for Google Assistant.

Alexa works and is available in 62 different countries, Sonos (with Alexa) in 13 different countries. While the instruction/question is correct, the key words are saying a country that Sonos for Alexa is working.

A lot of IT companies believe we live in a world where people don’t move across country borders, where they don’t speak anything else than one official country language and where no multi-lingual marriages exist. Thus people are forced to either not have a service or have it at a forcd (and possibly wrong) language they are not happy using. 

Amazon Alexa isn’t like that, thus is works in a lot of places and situations. That’s why I prefer it. My guess is that Sonos exists in a world with a bit higher walls. But I’m glad to hear @Simon B that you’d be looking to review this policy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As someone who has actually written an Alexa skill, I can tell you that even supporting just English is a royal PITA as a developer. I supported US, UK, AU and IN, and they were all subtly different. Amazon’s developer tooling made it harder than it should have been (you couldn’t just cut & paste between locales).

I can’t imagine the work required to support multiple foreign languages in multiple countries.

Once you’re done, you have to keep a full system up and running all the time (in each and every language/locale), as Amazon do sneaky random tests on your Skill, and if you fail, they shut your skill down, and you have to go through re-certification again.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I can’t imagine the work required to support multiple foreign languages in multiple countries.

I want to underline one more time that most people asking for the the product to work in their country are not asking for new languages, they are quite happy to speak English like they do anyways with most products in their lives. There just is this very weird trend in IT that you don’t allow your product to work in a country unless you have localized it - and in reality hardly anyone (in smaller countries) even want it localized.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I want to underline one more time that most people asking for the the product to work in their country are not asking for new languages, they are quite happy to speak English like they do anyways with most products in their lives. There just is this very weird trend in IT that you don’t allow your product to work in a country unless you have localized it - and in reality hardly anyone (in smaller countries) even want it localized.

I understand that desire, but that is not what Amazon let you do easily as a developer. There is a hard-coupling between language and country, which makes even less sense for those countries that have multiple official languages (eg Belgium).

This page might help you though: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202207000