What is the Wireless Radio Service?

• 8 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I have searched but “wireless” just gives hits on wifi issues.  My question relates to searching for radio stations.  In particular Virgin Radio UK.

I have enabled Virgin Radio UK and using Alexa on my Sonos One it can find it.  However, the default search via TuneIn does not find it, instead it tells me that it has found it on “wireless” (which I assumed would be a service or app).

However, I cannot seem to find either a service or an App that is called “wireless” to install to my Sonos system.  Does one exist?  What is Alexa referring to when it says it has found my station on “wireless”?

I am a bit baffled.

Geoff

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I can’t find “virgin radio uk” at all on the Sonos TuneIn search, I am in the USA. No joy with a radio.com search either.

No idea what is referring to “wireless” for you, please post a screenshot.

Badge +1

A screenshot does not help as it is an audio message from Alexa that mentions the wireless service.

Virgin does not come through TuneIn that is the point.  On your Sonos (assuming you have a One (or an Alexa device) tell Alexa to enable virgin radio UK.  Once that is done you can ask Alexa to find it.  however when it finds it it states it is from wireless (i.e., not TuneIn or Spotify or any other).

So what is “wireless”?

Badge +1

Solved it myself!

In searching from more information to post I noticed that Virgin Radio UK at virginradio.co.uk is owned by the Wireless Group!  Hence the statement by Alexa that it is “from wireless”.

Geoff

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Oh, so this was an Alexa question. That would have been good to know earlier.