wake word needs to be able to change

• 8 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I just purchased the Sonos One device. Aside from it not being very user friendly to sync with my Alexa app, it also doesn’t have the capability of customizing its own wake word. So, I have to be aware of how loud I say “ALEXA”. Otherwise, my Alexa device in the kitchen hears me.  This should be a moderately easy software update and it is definitely a trending concern for your customers.  It’s obviously important to us. So, I hope that it is important to you. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If you search these forums you’ll find this has been raised and answered many times. It seems to be a feature that Amazon will not allow to be implemented.  Of course you could change the wake word for the kitchen device so you have a workaround, unlike those with family members called Alexa. 

I have a similar issue - with a Sonos One in one room and a Sonos Move in another.  Often both will respond to the wake word and, as they are configured to different Amazon/Spotify accounts, one will usually play exactly what we’ve requested, whilst the other might do something completely different - often resulting in a different song being played in each room. Obviously asking Alexa to stop playing (the unwanted music) can also trigger in both rooms.  So, using voice control can quickly become really annoying and we’re having to keep doors shut between rooms to reduce the impact - or just resort to using a device to request music.  Considering swapping one over to Google Assistant, however, we have Google Home and Google Home WiFi devices that will then start responding, too.