Voice control with Alexa - “device is offline”

• 26 August 2018
  • 1 reply

Every time I ask Alexa to control music in any fashion (start, stop, play, pause, skip, etc.) I get the reply “sorry, that device is online.” Ironically, the device in question is the Sonos One that is telling me it is offline itself. Every other command works, for example I have Lutron switches and Kasa plugs that work great. Any questions I ask Alexa get a proper response. It is just using the Sonos speaker with Alexa to play music through itself that is a problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I’ve tried unplugging and restarting, unpairing the devices, uninstalling the Sonos skill on Alexa, switching wifi networks... nothing seems to work. Is it too much to ask for the products I purchase to work together as advertised?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Every time I ask Alexa to control music in any fashion (start, stop, play, pause, skip, etc.) I get the reply “sorry, that device is online.” Ironically, the device in question is the Sonos One that is telling me it is offline itself. Every other command works, for example I have Lutron switches and Kasa plugs that work great. Any questions I ask Alexa get a proper response. It is just using the Sonos speaker with Alexa to play music through itself that is a problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I’ve tried unplugging and restarting, unpairing the devices, uninstalling the Sonos skill on Alexa, switching wifi networks... nothing seems to work. Is it too much to ask for the products I purchase to work together as advertised?

Hi tygreen08,

Welcome to the community. Please check out this thread, which has many great suggestions for troubleshooting Alexa on Sonos.