Question

Voice Control on Sonos

• 10 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Can I use voice control on Sonos One without having Amazon Echo? How

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
The Sonos One has Alexa integrated ie you do not need a separate echo or dot.
Set up instructions can be read here:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4347/?_ga=2.186542953.1568532440.1509954673-1386628008.1504779546
And it also says voice control is not available in my county. I live in the United Arab Emirates
You will need to find out from Amazon when they will be supporting Alexa in your country. Once that is rolled out, then Sonos can start their process.
You will need to find out from Amazon when they will be supporting Alexa in your country. Once that is rolled out, then Sonos can start their process.
But there is no saying when this will be. Sonos is still to do this for India, 45 days after Amazon announced the launch of Alexa in India, and 10 days after it was launched in line with the promise. Works brilliantly but won't do Sonos.
Why this has to wait for a roll out and can't be planned jointly with partner Amazon in advance is a mystery. Or just poor management.
See this for more insight: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-alexa-integration-india-6793401
I don't have any inside information, Kumar, but I have done my fair share of multi-company projects, and they rarely go as planned, and the appropriate information is often not shared either, unless there is a specific request for it. I would expect that people from Sonos have read your posts (edited verbage, did not mean to be inflammatory, my apologies) in the threads where you've posted them, and are attempting to rectify the issue as quickly as possible.

And note that I very carefully didn't say that releasing Alexa in a country would have a simultaneous release from Sonos. I suspect there are particular issues, and it wouldn't surprise me if Amazon had a "give us a couple of weeks to make sure it all works" policy, which of course Sonos wouldn't be able to talk about due to NDA considerations, and the fact that they want to continue to build on Amazon's infrastructure.

I recognize it is frustrating to you. I'd encourage patience, if you can. I'm sure it will come, but I know that it isn't soon enough for you.
I very carefully didn't say that releasing Alexa in a country would have a simultaneous release from Sonos.
Sure; but Sonos has implicitly said so on a FAQ published here that this would be the case. As I have pointed out elsewhere. I also understand the rest of your post having also worked on multi company in multi country projects, but a paying customer is entitled to apply a higher standard. I bought the Echo and Dot based on the Sonos claim that it will work wherever Alexa is officially available.
Point taken.
As to the verbiage, the squeaky wheel etc....

But this will be a pointer and wake up call for the future. If Sonos wants to be a true partner with the elephants like Amazon/Google, they will have to step up their game to keep pace.

And if/when Apple sells HomePods in India directly or via distribution, voice control will not be left out.
I guess it depends on whether the issue is with Sonos, or with Amazon, and from the outside, there's no way for me to tell. I could potentially see it either way. I can also see a marketing crafted statement made improperly, as marketing rarely knows the true state of the issues.

In any case, I saw Ryan's comment in your other thread, didn't seem like he has much to say that will make you happy, but then again, I know he's not the one responsible, he's just the mouthpiece we get to listen to. I've done that job before, it's not always fun.

In any case, I hope things get resolved for you and the other residents of India as soon as possible. And I hope it serves as a learning bed for Sonos, as future countries get added by Amazon to the Alexa network, and subsequently by Sonos with their extra "skill". It would be nice if we already were a common world, but you and I both know that's not the case.
I saw Ryan's comment in your other thread, didn't seem like he has much to say that will make you happy, but then again, I know he's not the one responsible
Oh, I know. Over on the Alexa India thread I have said that I have taken this issue twice and left at the Sonos CEO doorstep where it belongs, so Ryan now has an out.