Answered

Voice control

• 2 December 2023
  • 2 replies

I have a number of sonos speakers and voice control works perfectly. However, I have a pair of non-sonos speakers in my living room (fed by a port in another part of the house) and I want to voice control the system from the living room. Is there a way to do this. I have an Amazon echo dot in the living room but I can’t get it to transmit voice commands to the Sonos system. If I could get that to work it would solve the problem. I don’t want to buy a sonos speaker just for the microphone/voice control. Is there any type of device that could “talk” to sonos? As it is I have to walk into another part of the house to get Sonos to respond.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 December 2023, 22:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Maybe try this - add the Sonos ‘skill’ to your Amazon Alexa App, agree to link the Alexa/Sonos accounts and then scan for Sonos devices.

Next create, or adapt, an Amazon Alexa ‘enabled’ Group called Living Room with the Echo Dot placed in the first ‘controlling’ section of the Group and add your Sonos Port to both the second (audio ducking) and third (speaker) section of the Group. Set the groups ‘Playback Option’ to ‘ALWAYS’.

Now setup (as necessary) a music subscription-based service such as Amazon, Deezer, Spotify, or Apple Music and set it as the default music service in the Alexa App and ensure the same service is installed in your Sonos App.

Then simple say to the echo dot in the Living Room.. ”Alexa, play some music” and if you have setup things correctly the music will play to your Sonos Port and output to your active speakers (or Amp/passive speakers) over its digital/analog line-out🤞

It will currently play music in the living room via the the Amazon dot. What I have not been able to make work is to say play music in the bedroom or play music everywhere. All of those location commands work with Sonos voice command but I can only get it to play in the living room when I'm talking to Alexa