Answered

voice assistants either don't play a song or skip within the first second and play a related song

• 16 June 2022
  • 4 replies

my issue with voice assistants thru sonos is driving me insane (i also am not quite sure if it’s a sonos or spotify issue, but i’m going to ask here anyway)

this is oddly specific but my sonos products will play the first two songs i request thru the voice assistants no issue -- then, when i request another, it will either a) not play anything b) say sorry, i can’t do that… or some related error message or c) acknowledge the song that i want (it says playing <the song i requested>) but then does NOT PLAY THAT SONG . after observing spotify when c) happens, i see that the song i want actually plays but then it just skips within a second of playing the song, so when hearing this from the speaker it is like the song never plays. also this is ONLY with voice assistants (i’ve had this issue on both alexa and google) but playing directly from spotify to sonos works perfectly.

i have tried every. single. thing i have found online -- uninstalling spotify and sonos, updating them both, readding my sonos products, taking off my voice assistants and adding them back again…. NOTHING works. 

any help would be so greatly appreciated as i have been flustered by this whole thing for months now. thank you !!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 June 2022, 08:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It could be something as simple as wifi interference , or something more complex. 

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

unfortunately i have chatted with agents on two separate occasions but they have just recommended the same things i said that i’ve tried :( would calling over chatting give me more extensive feedback?

unfortunately i have chatted with agents on two separate occasions but they have just recommended the same things i said that i’ve tried 😞 would calling over chatting give me more extensive feedback?

I would definitely run the diagnostic before calling as suggested by @Airgetlam .  And Support could remote access your system in real time (although maybe they can do that on chat too?).

I am not clear from your posts whether you have tried playing Spotify direct from the Spotify app AND using Spotify from within the Sonos app.  Does it work fine with both those options?

If you ask it by voice to play a whole album, does it still fail at the third track?  (I suspect it won’t, but it might tell us something either way.)

Are you playing to a single device or to several grouped devices?  Does this make any difference?

@retrogradial,

I think what Bruce mentioned is ‘likely’ and that you should perhaps look closer at the wireless interference issue, as the playlist will skip to the next track if there is an issue playing the current track.

Sometimes, if using a WiFi connection to your speakers, a simple change in WiFi channel might resolve it, but try to use channel 1, 6 or 11 as they are non-overlapping. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4769

If using a SonosNet connection instead, then ensure it’s channel is at least 5+ channels away from your chosen router channel. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219