Answered

Voice activation problems

• 24 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi has anyone else had difficulty with Alexa activation with Ones? I'm trying to get BBC radio to play in one room, Alexa announces BBC Sounds app, but nothing happens. It works fine in other rooms. I've read a lot of negative feedback over the last week or so to about voice activation, has something happened recently?

icon

Best answer by James L. 25 February 2021, 09:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge +17

Hey @Yeshawk, welcome to the community.

The BBC made changes a few months ago to how their stations are streamed through third-party services such as Amazon Alexa. The way to stream BBC stations on Alexa is still pretty simple, but requires some specific verbiage when asking to start playback.

You can say: “Alexa, ask BBC to play Radio 1” or “Alexa, play BBC Radio 1 from the BBC”

Personally, I’ve had more success with the first option. The first time you use the skill it will explain something about the BBC Sounds app and linking accounts, but you don’t need to worry about that.

Let us know how this works for you.

Badge +1

Hi James L, I disabled the skill in Alexa, then re-enabled it and all now seems ok, thank you for replying though.