Answered

Using Spotify and Alexa on different Sonos speakers

• 5 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi

I'm currently experiencing a problem using Alexa on two different Sonos speakers (a One and a Move) and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

The issue I am having is when I play a song on my daughter's speaker, it starts fine and continues to play until I go into my son's room and ask Alexa to play a song on his speaker. This causes the first song in my daughter's room to stop and the song in my son's room will continue to play. 

The set up I have is two Amazon accounts using the household sharing option within the Alexa app, two separate Spotify accounts with one each assigned to the Amazon accounts mentioned and the accounts have been set up separately on each speaker (the speakers will say which Spotify account it is streaming from before it plays a track)

If anyone can answer my question or find me a solution I'd be grateful as this problem is rendering my multi room set up useless in regards to using Alexa because both my kids want their own speakers in their rooms and to play music at the same time using the voice function.

Thanks in advance 

Anth Richards

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 10 March 2020, 17:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hello @anthrich1983. Welcome to the Community. I understand that you are unable to play Spotify on both your speakers at the same time, even though you are using separate Spotify accounts. I would like to have you submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow us to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution.

Are both the Spotify accounts added to the Sonos application by chance? 

Hi Richard

Thanks for your reply.

The diagnostic number is 229018831.

I did this a few days ago when I was on the phone to Sonos customer services, but they couldn't provide me with an answer.

Both Spotify accounts are added to the Sonos app, as well as the individual Amazon accounts set up in the shared household option within the Alexa app but it's still not working correctly.

The default Spotify account I have set up on the Sonos app is an account that I use only for the Sonos app and this doesn't interfere with other music play back (either via Google Assistant or Alexa)

I also have other Spotify accounts linked within the Sonos app but these are only used if, for example, my son wants to listen to a playlist he has created through his own Spotify account.

The Alexa command doesn't stop the music in a room that has been started via the Sonos app or via Google assistant, only when I try to play a song in a different rooms, using a different Alexa enabled Sonos speaker, which are using their separate linked Spotify accounts. The speaker even tells me which Spotify account it's streaming the song from.

I spoke to Amazon customer service and they emailed me a list of instructions to try which included un-linking the accounts and re-enabling them but this didn't work either. 

There does appear to be a multi room set up within the Alexa app, but when I try to add the speakers it says it can't find any compatible products. I'm assuming this only works with Amazon products, like the Echo, etc.

I hope I can find a solution because the whole point in having a multi room sound system with voice functionality is so everyone can enjoy different music in their rooms, but so far it has just been a frustrating headache.

Regards

Anthony Richards 

Hello Anthony. Thank you for providing that diagnostic. I am seeing a few network errors on the diagnostic here. I would like to have you reboot your router, and then reboot all of your Sonos products by unplugging them from power for about ten seconds and then plugging them back in. Once everything comes back online, please give it try again. what happens? 

Please send another diagnostic once the reboot completes as well. I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Hi Richard 

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'll give that a try later as I'm not home at the moment and see what happens, hopefully it'll fix the problem.

I'll send you the diagnostic number when I've completed the reboot too.

Many thanks

Anthony Richards

Hi Richard 

I rebooted my speakers and the router but the problem hasn't been resolved, the diagnostic number is 612327514.

Thanks

Anthony Richards

Thank you for providing that information.I did some more research on your issue, and it appears this is limitation of Alexa. In order for Sonos to work with Alexa, you need to have one Amazon account per Sonos Household. In your case, you have two Amazon accounts on your system, which is causing some confusion. 

Moving forward, you have two options available to you: 

1. Remove Alexa from one of your speakers, and then add Google Assistant. You can then Ask Google to play Spotify on one speaker, and ask Alexa to play Spotify on the other speaker. You can follow this article if you need assistance adding Google Assistant.
  2. You can reset one of your speakers, and then add that speaker to a new household by creating a new system. This will however, prevent the speakers from grouping together in the future. 

I recommend taking the first option. However, it is entirely up to you. I would be more then happy to provide further assistance if the need arises. 

Hi Richard

Thanks for your reply, I've set up Google Assistant on the speaker and it works fine alongside Alexa but a similar problem will happen if I use the Google Assistant on the Beam in my bedroom and my son uses the Google Assistant on the Move that I have in his room at the moment.

Bit disappointing that there is a limitation with multiple Amazon accounts on Sonos, it would be better if I could add more than one via the Sonos app and this would eradicate the issue. It's put me off getting a new smart speaker in his room now because of this.

Thanks for your help though regarding the matter.

Anthony Richards