Answered

Using Sonos for ALL Alexa Output

• 2 November 2017
  • 4 replies

First of all, I love the new Alexa skills for SONOS. What I would like to have is the ability for SONOS to output 100% of Alexa's output; not just music. My SONOS setup includes a playbar, 2 one's and a sub. For example, if I say, "Hey Alexa, what time is it?", I'd like her response to come through SONOS system and not her speaker. Any suggestions?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 November 2017, 18:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Connect your Alexa device to a PLAY:5, or a CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP, using the line in function? It can't currently be done using what you own. There's been no indication that it will be possible, either, although Sonos tends not to share their development plans with us. At the end of the day, the best way to get what you want is to petition Amazon to purchase Sonos.
Thanks, Bruce. I'll get right on that.
Yep. If you do like Bruce said and connect your Echo device line-out to the Sonos line-in, you'll get audio everywhere you have your Sonos (or group) playing. Additionally, you may need to activate the Autoplay so that any Echo audio output activates the Sonos line-in. The downside is that it will override whatever your Sonos was already doing.

For example, if you're using Sonos to listen to music, and you ask Alexa for the time, the music will stop, you'll hear Alexa's response, but the music will be stopped or paused. If you're using your Echo device as your music source (instead of the Sonos music services), then it's no problem.

I connected a turntable to my Play:5 line-in, and the autoplay makes for a seamless experience since all I have to do is start playing a record and the Sonos will switch to the turntable's output.

You'll find more info on how best to use the line-in here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091/~/using-line-in-on-sonos

Regards,

Scott
Thanks, Scott. That's great info. Seems I'm stuck since none of my components have the requisite line-in.