Answered

Using Sonos app to disable voice control

Hello,

I recently purchased a few Sonos Ones (first time Sonos user). I have been playing around with the Alexa integration and I find it pretty useful.... and so have our little kids. The kids love nothing more than shouting at Alexa first thing in the morning and getting random music to play at full volume. Same can happen when we are listening to something they find it hilarious to change the music / talk to Alexa. All of which leads me to the topic title...

From what I can see there appears to be no way to temporarily disable voice control;
- Turning the microphone off using the button on the speaker isn't helpful (in this scenario) because it can simply be touched to be re-enabled again
- The microphone button on the speaker is not disabled when I have turned off the touch control buttons in the app (which I find a bit weird given there is almost no point in turning the touch controls off if anyone can simply override everything with Alexa).
- I have tried seeing if I can disable the device from within the Alexa iOS app, but this didn't appear to do anything.
- Whilst I could of course remove the Alexa integration on the speaker(s), this is a very cumbersome process if I'd be doing this a number of times a day

Is there anything I'm missing? If not can I request Sonos consider having an additional toggle in the Sonos app to manage the microphone?

Many thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 19 June 2018, 12:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Sonos 'Touch Controls' are explained here...

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3250
Thanks for the link.

It seems I wasn't clear in my original post, in that I would like a way to disable the microphone.. which cannot be undone at the speaker itself. Turning the microphone off using the button on the speaker isn't helpful because it can simply be touched to be re-enabled again (thus defeating the point of me disabling the mic to prevent anyone from messing around with the voice control for a period of time).

(PS I have updated the original post to include this point)
I know Sonos have said the mic is hardwired to its light so that a user always knows when the mic is on or off. I’m not so sure being able to turn it off/on with software is a good idea, as that too might invite hackers to try to exploit those things and I think Sonos see our security and privacy as paramount.

My thoughts are to tell the the kids to stop doing what they are doing and deal with the matter as you would whenever you feel they are misbehaving.

I think it’s a discipline thing rather than something that Sonos needs to resolve, as controlling such listening devices by software may raise even more concerns from many other users of their hardware.

I think the Amazon Alexa devices do not allow their microphones to be turned on/off with software either.
One other thing, that my wife has just pointed out to me, is if the children were to ever deny giving a command/instruction to the Sonos speaker, you can actually go into the Amazon App Settings History and play the recording back to them.. apparently this was used recently by a family friend who was having some issues with their own grandchildren.

I’m not sure there is an answer here to resolve these issues, whilst maintaining the same level of privacy and security, without altering the hardware itself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
There is a UPnP API on DeviceProperties called SetButtonLockState, which might do the job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
So I just tried that API, doesn't seem to do anything obvious. However the API SetLEDState can turn off the leds on the Play One: would the kids be deterred if you switched off the leds on the unit? I think there's an option in the app to do that.
Thanks for the responses. I don't think they appreciate whether the LEDs are on or not 🙂 . They are 2 and 5 years old so 'disciplining' them around the usage of Alexa only goes so far - and the voice interaction is something I want to have as a bit of fun with rather have it as a strictly controlled / adult only thing. Being able to switch it off in the app would provide a happy medium (at least for us).

Whilst I recognise the need for security, the speakers themselves are isolated within a home network and do not broadcast themselves to the outside world. Unlike IP cameras which have been in the news for being exploited due to lack of strong/any passwords, I'm struggling a little to really understand the big security risk by having a software button to control the mic button.
Sonos has to sell to a significant portion of the market that is quite fearful of any type of listening devices in the home (despite the fact they carry a live, unregulated microphone in their pocket everywhere they go). Not allowing for a software based microphone switch is one of the concessions made to this part of the market.
Thanks. I understand that too and have read some of the other privacy related posts on here with interest. The thing I don't get, is that if you don't want the 'listening device' to be on, then I would assume that person would have no intention of authorising/integrating the Sonos app with their Alexa/Amazon app. Without that first step there is no 'listening device' at all.

So, for those that have done the initial integration (and therefore are seemingly ok with the microphones being used in their house / room) then this software switch could be displayed / made use of. If there is no Alex/voice integration then Sonos could hide the switch in the UI as it wouldn't serve any purpose. Simples 🙂
My thought would be that if they are old enough to know that pushing a button turns on a microphone, they are old enough to be told not to push the button without permission. My kids are much older now, so perhaps I'm over estimating what a 2 year old is capable of.

Regardless, you could consider moving the Sonos Ones to locations that the kids cannot reach. Or unplugging the units every night, although that can have an impact on the life of the speaker.
Thanks. I understand that too and have read some of the other privacy related posts on here with interest. The thing I don't get, is that if you don't want the 'listening device' to be on, then I would assume that person would have no intention of authorising/integrating the Sonos app with their Alexa/Amazon app. Without that first step there is no 'listening device' at all.

So, for those that have done the initial integration (and therefore are seemingly ok with the microphones being used in their house / room) then this software switch could be displayed / made use of. If there is no Alex/voice integration then Sonos could hide the switch in the UI as it wouldn't serve any purpose. Simples :)

Try to tell that to the folks who are paranoid about listening devices. 😉
Badge
I know Sonos have said the mic is hardwired to its light so that a user always knows when the mic is on or off. I’m not so sure being able to turn it off/on with software is a good idea, as that too might invite hackers to try to exploit those things and I think Sonos see our security and privacy as paramount.

My thoughts are to tell the the kids to stop doing what they are doing and deal with the matter as you would whenever you feel they are misbehaving.

I think it’s a discipline thing rather than something that Sonos needs to resolve, as controlling such listening devices by software may raise even more concerns from many other users of their hardware.

I think the Amazon Alexa devices do not allow their microphones to be turned on/off with software either.

I just read this post. What the heck have we come to. This dude is asking Sonos to change a product because he can't control his kids? I have no words. Ken you are spot on. A 2 and 5 year old can't even comprehend this concept and obviously they see and hear their parents doing things that you can't possibly explain to them. This is why kids are growing up crazy.