Answered

Using Echo Dot with Sonos Connect Amp

• 24 April 2018
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos Play One and a Connect Amp connected to a pair of Bowers and Wilkins speakers which has been working great.
I have recently got an Echo Dot which I want to use with my Connect Amp so I have connected the Echo Dot to the Connect Amp using the Line In connector on the Amp.
This works great on both my Play 1 in the kitchen and the Connect Amp in the lounge when I say for example... Alexa, open Heart 80's - It comes on at the correct volume on all speakers.
The problem is Alexa (Herself???) as this volume is incredibly low and most of the time you can't actually figure out what she is saying to start with and then the volume goes REALLY loud.
I know part of the Alexa skill is to cut the Sonos volume so that Alexa can hear the promt but does there need to be a check box in the settings to ask if you are connected via the Line In and not cut the volume for Alexa.

Cheers
icon

Best answer by jgatie 24 April 2018, 22:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There is no need to connect the Echo Dot to the line-in in order to voice control Sonos. Since you have the Sonos skill enabled, disconnect the Dot from the line-in and you can tell it to play to the Sonos device name and it will start playing (with the added benefit that you will be able to view the Now Playing info on the Sonos app).

See this link for details:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-now-playing-on-sonos-6791301
Hi, thanks for the reply...
Using that setup, any idea how I get alexa to play to both the lounge and the kitchen at the same time?
Cheers
Grouping via Alexa is not available at this time, but it is said Sonos/Amazon are working on it. In the meantime, you can group via the Sonos app, then tell Alexa to play to any one of the grouped speakers and all speakers in the group will play.