Using Alexa with sonos speakers but also external non-sonos speakers

My existing system has a Beam, a sub-woofer, three sonos ones set up in 3 groups, plus an external amp connected to the port that connects to multiple ceiling speakers that were in the house when we moved in.  

I can use sonos to play in the “house” group (the existing home speakes) as they show up as a group in Sonos controller.  However, Alexa doesn’t recognize that group. Does anyone have a recommendation for how I add that group to my Alexa?  

Thanks in advance.

John

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Has the Port been added as a device in the Alexa app yet?

Well, I know that the port works.  From the Sonos app I can play any of 4 groups of speakers.

Master Bath

Family Room

Study

House (this is where the external non-sonos speakers are located).  They are connected to the port through an external amp and work quite well with volume controls in various rooms.

But in the Alexa app, only Study and Master Bath show up.

Think perhaps deleting and reinstalling the Alexa app would cause it to recognize the port?

Have you "discovered devices"?

I suspect that the terminology you are using may be clouding the picture. Are Master Bedroom , Family Room and Office really Sonos groups or are they rooms? What speakers are in each of those groups or rooms?

You are right, I think (I’m technologically challenged).  Those three are speakers.  Sonos One in Master Bath, 2 Sonos One in Study, and a Beam and Sub-Woofer in Family room.  The “House I. Set up connected through an external amp (needed the power) is all ceiling speakers.

I think the problem is all with the Alexa app.  I can play through those 3 and the House speakers from Sonos on my laptop.

I think you have four Sonos 'rooms" including whatever you have called the Port.

If you tell Alexa to "discover devices" it should find everything. I doubt that you need to reinstall Alexa but that could be a last resort. A less drastic step would be to disable and re-enable the Sonos skill for Alexa. 

Thanks, John.  Will try discovering devices again, but think I’ve tried that before.  If that doesn’t work, will probably delete Alexa from all our home devices, reinstall, and then try to discover again.