Answered

Using Alexa with Sonos Five

• 9 January 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m considering a pair of Fives.  I’ll primarily use AirPlay for streaming locally stored content, but my wife likes to just ask Alexa to play music.  Given that Alexa is not built in, I'm not 100% following how to set it up and what the end result will be.  I see the instructions for adding the skill.  But is an Echo device required to use Alexa after it’s all setup? Or can I just use the Alexa app on an iOS device to stream after setting it up?  I really don’t want to have to add another piece of hardware just to use Alexa on an $1000+ speaker system that’s advertised as supporting Alexa.  If I had to do that, seems like just using an audio cable would be the best way to go.  I'm not sure what value setting up a skill would provide.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 9 January 2022, 20:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

If your wife wants to use Alexa voice control to play music on the Fives, you need an Echo device. You could just use the Alexa app, but this wouldn’t be very convenient and I doubt your wife would like this option. I recommend getting an Echo Dot Gen 3. It is fairly inexpensive, has a low profile, and works really well. And, honestly, I believe Echo devices work so much better for voice control than a Sonos device with Alexa built in.

Here is how you set up an Amazon Alexa device to control Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en_US

I agree totally with @GuitarSuperstar 's views.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That’s what I thought.  In your opinion, is using the line out from the Echo better than setting up the Alexa skill?  And if so, will the line out connected to one Five still play on the stereo pair?

I don't have mine wired. I don’t think it would sync with the rest of my Sonos system. I also prefer to have the Dot where it is best for hearing me.

Basically I want a Sonos device, not an Amazon device with better sound. 

Userlevel 7

That’s what I thought.  In your opinion, is using the line out from the Echo better than setting up the Alexa skill?  And if so, will the line out connected to one Five still play on the stereo pair?

If you are placing the Echo Dot near the Fives, I think I would go with the direct line-in connection. This will allow Alexa’s voice to play directly out of the pair of Fives, the same as a Sonos speaker with Alexa built-in. And the audio from the Dot will play out of both Fives if they are a stereo pair.

But you should experiment with both options and see which one you and your wife prefer.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Got it.  Thanks for your help.

I am considering getting 2 fives to stereo pair but I also want to use Alexa for Amazon Music HD/UHD streaming. If I buy an Echo device, will it stream UHD or Hi-Res?

Userlevel 7

I am considering getting 2 fives to stereo pair but I also want to use Alexa for Amazon Music HD/UHD streaming. If I buy an Echo device, will it stream UHD or Hi-Res?

Amazon Music HD/UHD is currently only supported when you initiate Amazon Music playback from within the Sonos app to the Fives.

If you ask Alexa to play music (Amazon Music) on Sonos it will only stream in SD.

Thank you!