Answered

Using a Single Sonos One with 2 users and 2 different Apple Music accounts

• 30 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Good day, I wish to know if I will be able to do the following, it will decide whether I purchase this product or not.

My wife and I have an Apple Music Family subscription, therefore, I want to know whether we would be able to simply say to Alexa, 'Alexa, play x Playlist from x account'. If I ahve to into an app and change the user each time, it's not worth the expense.

Is this possible?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 30 August 2018, 21:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Apple Music is not available through Alexa.
It is possible to add two separate music accounts on Sonos, but they are not recognizable by Alexa at this time. The default account for Alexa is what is used. Playing from the other account must be initiated from the app, then you can use Alexa to Skip/Rewind/Pause/Resume/etc.

ETA: Whoops, melvimbe is correct, Apple Music is not available via Alexa. You can use Siri to control the iTunes/Apple Music app on the iPhone/iPad and use Airplay 2 to stream it to the Sonos. That will also enable you to use both accounts.
So, I don't own a Sonos yet, so if I understand correctly, I can use Apple Music with the Sonos, but not if I use the Alexa aspect?
Yes, Apple Music is supported on Sonos, even multiple accounts. However, Alexa can only initiate play for music services supported by the Alexa platform. These are TuneIn, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Amazon Music (Prime or Unlimited), Deezer, and Spotify. You can control (Skip/Rewind/Pause/Resume/Volume Up/Down and ask "Alexa, what's playing"), but not initiate play, for all other Sonos supported services.

For more details on the Alexa/Sonos functions, see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3514?language=en_US

Funnily enough, you could use Siri on your phone to initiate play on Sonos, then use Alexa to Skip/Pause/Rewind.
Thank you