Question

Use SONOS Speaker for Echo Dot Results

• 11 November 2017
  • 5 replies

I want to use my SONOS speakers for playback of Echo Dot results. For example, when I ask Alexa, "Alexa, what are today's headlines?" instead of the results playing on the Echo Dot's crummy speaker, I would like the results to play on my SONOS speakers.

Any way to make this work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As far as I'm aware this would only be possible if you used the 'Line In' function on a Connect, Connect Amp or Play 5 linked to an Echo with Autoplay selected on that Sonos device under the Line In settings. This would also output via any grouped speakers if you had 'Include Grouped Rooms' selected.
Interesting. That was what I worried about. Do you know of a wireless way to connect an AUX out in one place to an AUX in in another? My Echo is in a different location from my Connect Amp. Or better yet, over a home CAT6 network. I know i can do it with a cat6 direct connection between the two devices (via a media converter) but that is not an option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not between Sonos and non Sonos devices, accept via the method I've described.
Userlevel 7
Try using the Echo Dot Remote in conjunction with the setup recommended by UKmedia. It may work..if so let us know.:?

Cheers!

https://www.amazon.com/Alexa-Voice-Remote-Amazon-Echo/dp/B01E9AHU8Q
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I am considering adding dots to the system but I don't think i could stand the poor sound quality from the DOT. might just wait until Sonos/Amazon find a solution so all sound comes from Sonos.
As my suggestion for this I would suggest that when a command is sent to Alexa the system establishes which Sonos is nearest the Dot that received the message and broadcast reply to that Sonos, only.
You may as a user to vary that but that would be my preferred default