Question

unpairing 2 out of 6 sonos speakers with amazon echo

• 9 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge
i have 6 play ones and a playbar in the house and my amazon echo (first gen). when i tell alexa to do anything, like lower lights, all the speakers currently playing any music will dim sound until my command is done. I have 2 speakers that are usually on all night playing white noise in my kids room. (different floor than my echo). is there anyway to not have those speakers as part of the alexa integration and prevent them from dimming during alexa commands?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - If you have speakers that you don't want to be able to control via Alexa (and thus not have the audio ducking) - go into Alexa app under Smart Home. Choose speaker you want to disable - then the screen will come up where you can delete (trash can at top). I don't believe disabling at bottom will stop the ducking.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Similar issue here. I want to disable a single speaker by deleting it via the trash can it initially works. Problem is that it keeps reappearing a while later. Any thoughts on how i can permanently delete it? Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Probably appearing when you do a rescan - ask alexa to discover devices. Its going to have to be deleted anytime you ask alexa to rediscover (I wouldn't think you would do that often).
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I thought that but i'm not rescanning at all unless there's some setting that's doing it automatically when i go back into the Alexa app. Will check settings to see!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I deleted some of mine so I will see if they show back up. I had noticed that marking disabled won't stop the ducking (that was surprising). I wonder if changing their names in settings would break the link?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Thanks Chris, it hasnt shown up since i posted earlier but i'll check in morning. I also find it odd that the disable button does nothing as i'd already tried that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Alexa app updated a little while ago and added an auto discovery feature every couple hours. So even if you forget devices, they will get re-found.

There is some work being done on the ducking feature right now, but we don't have any specifics to share on a timeline for that just yet. I know it's not a great solution, but if you have Sonos Ones in those rooms, they won't duck unless they hear you. Those devices know when you're talking to them vs other Alexa devices and won't duck down. Just like the Sonos One won't duck other rooms when you ask it questions.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Thanks Ryan, thought i was going mad. That's a real shame, i just re-enabled the skill after a few months and it was a work around to the ducking issue. The Play 5 in question is hooked up to tv in main room and between actual Alexa commands and ones triggered by similar sounding wake word from the TV, it ducks way too frequently. Look forward to the update so i can start using it again.