Skip to main content

Since last update I've started to have problems with the alexa part (never worked much, but ok) 

I've decided then to remove the assistant from my beam, un-installed the app from the phone.

Then I've started all the configuration from scratch. 

All is OK but I cannot install alexa (ok with the Sonos assistant and with Google)

Is there some way to fix it and install back alexa? 🤔 

Hi @Mutti 

Thanks for your post!

Sorry to hear of the issue you’ve had in adding Alexa to your speakers.

There are numerous reports that uninstalling the Amazon shopping app before trying to add Alexa to Sonos will fix the issue you describe - it forces the use of the browser to then log in to your Amazon account. Please feel free to reinstall the Amazon app again afterwards.

I hope this helps.

Thank you @Corry P ,

Thank you for the community, but I still blame Sonos for the bad development of the app. 

Seems they are more focused on add advertisements in the app instead of fixing (well known) problems. 

I can verify this method finally helped setup Alexa on my new Era 300s.

Thanks...

Very disapointing to find out that they know there is a problema and are uable or unwilling to fix it and dump the problem on the consumer.  Not sure Sonos will survive with this level of customer service.   

Hi @Crlsgrc 

Very disapointing to find out that they know there is a problema and are uable or unwilling to fix it and dump the problem on the consumer.

Perhaps I should have added that we are aware of the issue and are investigating - my apologies for not providing this info. The workaround above was given so that @Mutti didn’t have to wait for us to resolve the issue before they could use Alexa on their system - we are not “dumping” the problem on anyone.

I don’t have an ETA for a resolution to this issue.

I hope this helps.

@Corry P I’ve been struggling to add Alexa to my Move for a month now after it randomly stopped working. My other devices have no issues with Alexa. I’ve tried the following suggestions:

• Rebooting my router
  • Factory resetting the Move
  • Deregistering from Alexa
  • Disabling and re-enabling the Alexa skill
  • Removing and re-adding the voice assistant in the Sonos app (iOS)
  • Restarting my iPhone
  • Uninstalling the Amazon shopping app

None of these attempts have been successful. Chatting with customer support has been frustrating, as they seem unaware that others have experienced this issue.

I’d rather not spend hours on the phone troubleshooting if this is a known issue. Some honesty and clarity would be greatly appreciated.

Wow.

Another Sonos own goal.

The bad old days of releasing Beta products on customers to iron out the bugs died in 1990s.

Just ask MS.

Every time you release a buggy product ( aka your App) you lose big revenue.

@Corry P 

Please elaborate on what you mean by “uninstalling the Amazon shopping app.” Presumably you mean the general Amazon app? But, install it from where, my phone?

Not shooting the messenger, but hoping you’ll pass this along: If Sonos isn’t aware, the reviews from the past few weeks on the Alexa Sonos skill are scathing because this issue is so widespread. Getting this fixed should be at the top of the corporate emergency flagpole. Brand equity with long time product users is incredibly valuable, and you undoubtedly know from your employee accommodations programs that it is especially important with those of us who have a tastemaker reputation from having worked as CE corporate category managers for some of your major retailers. Now, despite having gone all-in on Sonos, we hesitate when people ask what products we’d recommend. 

This software issue isn’t isolated. The cumbersome history of your multiple apps has been enough to raise an eyebrow at just how premium the entire brand experience actually is. The ongoing 2 apps situation is kludged together with bubble gum and masking tape. This, on the other hand, feels like a straight up abandonment of the software user experience.

Does Sonos have new corporate leadership? This is something typical of an org scrambling to get something out to market under pressure of a new executive who throws “measure twice, cut once” out the window in order to demonstrate an appearance of progress at the expense of what is actually best for the brand and customers.

I sadly won’t be buying or recommending Sonos going forward based on the status quo. 

If you can’t fix it, then dazzle us with exemplary customer service and simply offer a free upgrade to a compatible before we’re jaded into abandoning loyalty. and if you can fix it, you still owe customers a make-good. That is a sure way to salvage your reputation and our loyal recommendations. 
Even Temu proactively offers customers a make-good when they’ve blatantly dropped a ball. 

Hi @Mplex 

@Corry P

Please elaborate on what you mean by “uninstalling the Amazon shopping app.” Presumably you mean the general Amazon app? But, install it from where, my phone?

Yes. The Sonos app will usually ask other apps for log in details if available. Something is going wrong when the Sonos app asks the Amazon Shopping app for your credentials, so removing that app from your phone so that the Sonos app is forced to use a browser to log in to your Amazon account seems to avoid this issue.

Does not work if you need to use a non-US amazon site.

The sonos app breaks when it asks Amazon Shopping app for credentials but amazon has forced changes on it credential process.

Removing the amazon app from the android phone forces the Sonos app to Amazon.com website / password credential process.

But this is no good if you dont have an amazon.com account and instead use say an amazon.com.au account.

So the advertising here on the sonos au site is now false and misleading, again. Like six years ago when Alexa did not work.

https://www.sonos.com/en-au/alexa-on-sonos

I have had a similar problem since purchasing an Era 100. To keep a very long story shorter, I couldn’t add Alexa voice assistant to the Era.  The app simply put me into a quick help screen whenever I tried to add it. Following two calls with Sonos support and several different attempts taking nearly 5 hours (!) I now have no voice assistant on my existing product (beam) following Sonos advice to reset it. I did this reset as I had a problem playing music from Apple following several attempts at disabling Sonos skill in Alexa app (advised by Sonos support to enable Era connection). Normal commands from Alexa were working at that time but now nothing! I know this sounds complicated but it’s what I’ve been subjected to by Sonos support over the past few days and to be honest I’ve had enough of this!

The issue has now been escalated to second line support but I can’t believe how bad this customer experience has been so far. I’ll update if I ever get a solution to this but won’t be buying any more of these products from now on 

Update on my issue. Connection to Alexa worked on my beam this morning.  No idea why but I still can’t connect Era to Alexa. I get the following when I try to add it via Voice assistant  at least Sonos voice assistant works though..

I swapped to an Era 300 yesterday and had to upgraded from S1 to the newest version, all my speakers I eventually got connected and working plus Alexa voice on my Era 300. Everything worked fine until I changed to the new version. Deleting the shopping app didn’t work 😩

I can confirm the workaround of uninstalling Amazon Shopping does force the Amazon authentication to use a browser which successfully completes and Alexa is again available on my Move.  It's an annoying workaround, but it does work (Galaxy S24+ on Android 14).

Sonos, you need to figure out the bug you have with the Amazon authentication when the Amazon Shopping app is installed.  Seems like a pretty easy thing to figure out. 

Running into same problem with my Era 100. Stopped working with Alexa out of nowhere. Doesn’t recognize the device on Alexa app and the voice assistant stops working out of nowhere.   On the Alexa app it actually recognizes two “devices” that are the same device  really messed up. Uninstalling the shopping app did nothing  

Have tried everything. I want to throw this thing right in the garbage. 

I am having the same issue adding Alexa. It stopped working for me and I have tried everything mentioned above and on my iPhone it constantly says “There was a problem adding Alexa”. I also tried on an Android and it won't even allow me to select a voice control service. As soon as I tap on “Add a voice assistant” I get the error “There was a problem starting Sonos Voice Control. Make sure your mobile device is connected to Wi-Fi” (and yes I am on the same Wi-Fi network). This is frustrating. 

I cannot set up Alexa on my new Era 100.   When it attempts to login to Amazon it fails.  I have tried deleting all amazon apps from my phone but that didn’t resolve the problem.

Pixel 6 pro/android user.  (also tried with my android table)

@tlrausch33 
There is currently an issue with Alexa. This forum has a pop-up stating this issue, I’ve just seen.

Plus it’s here too:

https://status.sonos.com

I cannot add Alexa....

I cannot add Alexa....

Ähm… did you reed the post directly above yours? 😉

I’m thoroughly convinced this is Sonos’ attempt to move people to their “Sonos Voice Control.”

I’m thoroughly convinced this is Sonos’ attempt to move people to their “Sonos Voice Control.”

I thought that is an ironic way of just kidding. But if you really are convinced by this, imo there would be a quite more easy way for Sonos. They just could stop supporting Alexa. 😉

Sonos support is pathetic! Who releases an update that causes so much trouble and doesn’t immediately revert back to the previous version until they can fix the mess? Oh wait, shouldn’t they have actually tested the update first? I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with “John” from support and after numerous factory resets, reboots, changing the wifi, connecting via Ethernet, etc…my speaker still didn’t work. By the way, at almost exactly 1 hour John disappeared on me. He went on mute and never came back. Nor did he call me back after I eventually hung up. Today I did another factory reset, but moved my speaker to the house wifi instead of the mesh and used my phone to register it as a separate system. It worked, well, until I tried to add Alexa. Nope. I even uninstalled the Amazon app as suggested but the Alexa voice assistant will not sign in. Reboot everything, try again, still no fix. 

Would I EVER recommend Sonos to anyone? Not a chance. Great speakers, pathetic software and support. 

According to https://status.sonos.com there’s a problem with Alexa.