Answered

Unable to play music using Alexa on Era 100

Badge

Hello—we just replaced an echo device with an Era 100. We added our apple music account via the sonos app and are able to ask for music using ‘hey sonos’, but are unable to ask Alexa for music. As far as I can tell tell the apple music and Pandora skills are (still) enabled in the alexa app, however anytime my family tries to ask Alexa to play something, the speaker tells us that the skill needs to be enabled in the alexa app. We were previously able to do this on the echo… Is there something I’m doing wrong here? We could adjust to saying ‘Hey Sonos’, but everyone is used to shouting to ‘Alexa’ and frankly I don’t want to use separate voice assistants for timers, etc. and a different one for music.

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 2 April 2024, 18:11

View original

13 replies

Not that I’m an expert in this area, but saying ‘hey, Sonos’ is supposed to invoke the Sonos Voice assistant, not the Alexa (Amazon) voice assistant. If you say ‘Alexa’ as you would normally with an Echo device, and you have Alexa installed in your Sonos properly, it should just work. 

‘Hey, Sonos’ would work if you had SVC installed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you confirm that you can ask your Era 100 “Alexa, what is the time?” and she answers correctly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Colin_17 

After adding Apple Music skill in Alexa app please let Alexa do a new search for speakers. Also set AM as standard music service for Alexa in Alexa app. Otherwise you always would have to add „on Apple Music“ at the end of each command. 

Badge

Can you confirm that you can ask your Era 100 “Alexa, what is the time?” and she answers correctly?

Confirmed.

Badge

Not that I’m an expert in this area, but saying ‘hey, Sonos’ is supposed to invoke the Sonos Voice assistant, not the Alexa (Amazon) voice assistant. If you say ‘Alexa’ as you would normally with an Echo device, and you have Alexa installed in your Sonos properly, it should just work. 

‘Hey, Sonos’ would work if you had SVC installed. 

You can have them both installed at the same time. Alexa commands work fine except for playing music, which it tells me to enable the skill.

Yes, but ‘Hey Sonos’ invokes SVC, not Alexa. You need to use ‘Alexa’ to invoke Amazon’s service.

Badge

@Colin_17

After adding Apple Music skill in Alexa app please let Alexa do a new search for speakers. Also set AM as standard music service for Alexa in Alexa app. Otherwise you always would have to add „on Apple Music“ at the end of each command. 

The Apple Music skill is enabled, as is the Sonos skill. Searching for new speakers doesnt seem to do anything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I suggest that you open the Alexa app and reregister your Era 100 and then search for devices again.

Badge

I suggest that you open the Alexa app and reregister your Era 100 and then search for devices again.

I tried this, but it didn’t fix my problem. Now the Sonos speaker does not show up in my device list in the Alexa app. If I search for it, it can see it however.

Badge

Yes, but ‘Hey Sonos’ invokes SVC, not Alexa. You need to use ‘Alexa’ to invoke Amazon’s service.

I think you misunderstand my problem. I am aware of this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I tried this, but it didn’t fix my problem. Now the Sonos speaker does not show up in my device list in the Alexa app. If I search for it, it can see it however.

Can you now disable and then enable the Sonos skill within the Alexa App.

Badge

After going through a bunch of steps with Sonos support, I was able to resolve this. The problem was fixed after disabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app… This might have been a problem because I have older S1-only Sonos devices on my network, but I’m not sure. Hopefully this helps someone else having the same issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

After going through a bunch of steps with Sonos support, I was able to resolve this. The problem was fixed after disabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app… This might have been a problem because I have older S1-only Sonos devices on my network, but I’m not sure. Hopefully this helps someone else having the same issue.

You can’t use the same Amazon account for Alexa on different Sonos systems. I also have a S1 and a S2 household and can not use Alexa with the same Amazon account for both of them. Alexa app connects a streaming service via Alexa to ONE Sonos system.