Question

Two (2) Sonos Entries in Alexa Setup, But Only One (1) Sonos Device??

• 26 November 2017
  • 4 replies

I've set up Sonos One (my first Sonos purchase), and connected it with Alexa (I have one Echo Dot).

Under my Amazon Alexa device settings, I am showing two (2) Sonos devices, is that right? During setup, I had to do a password reset at one point, and I have also subsequently renamed the "room" my Sonos One is in, several times... I'm concerned this is the cause. One of the Sonos devices showing in Alexa settings is clearly my Sonos One, with completed settings, and the correct current rename. The other one has a different serial number, a mangled version of the rename, incomplete address and timezone settings...
Are there supposed to be two (2) there? Thanks in advance for any insight...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I see the same behaviour. Each Sonos One appears twice: one entry is for the Sonos speaker itself, the other is for a ‘virtual’ Amazon Alexa device associated with the One.
Thanks...that's what I was suspecting... is that behavior documented somewhere I could review, do you know?
In your Amazon Alexa app, you should have two devices under settings, but only one of the two devices under smart home. In my case, under settings, I have one device named Sonos One and a second device named kitchen (which is the name/location of the Sonos One speaker). Under Smart Home devices, it will only show the device named kitchen. When I ask Alexa to play music using the Sonos One, it will respond by saying "playing your music on kitchen." I can also use one of my echos and ask Alexa to play music on kitchen and it will play on my Sonos One. I'm still frustrated trying to get things to work, mainly playback issues with Amazon Music. Good luck.
I too had the same issue. I went to Menu-Skills-YourSkills, scrolled down to Sonos and 'DISABLED and RE-ENABLED' the skills and now Alexa is playing music on 'Kitchen' in Alexa app. One thing to note is that I can still see Sonos One Kitchen as 'online'. Weird but worth a try.