TuneIn radio station Format not supported when asking Alexa

• 30 December 2018
  • 11 replies

When I select a radio station (Spirit FM Sussex) from the Sonos App it plays fine. However, when I ask Alexa to play “Spirit FM” it confirms the command by nothing plays. Checking the Sonos app, it reports that the “Format is unsupported”. Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you try 'Alexa, Play Spirit FM from TuneIn'?
It plays a Spirit FM Radio station from the US, not the one we want in the UK (Sussex).
We want Spiritfm.net
There are quite a few 'spirit fm' radio stations on Tunein, as my sample screenshots from the Sonos App shows, making it somewhat difficult to pinpoint the problem here. There are more stations than I can easily capture. I suspect one of them may not be working, but which one??
Apologies. It’s spiritFM.net The first one that appears on my screenshot.
Yes, I have that working via the Sonos App, but not sure how you then get Alexa to load that particular radio station rather than one of the others?
I used the Alexa App to ‘enable’ SpiritFM skill which can be enabled here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UKRD-SAD-Spirit-FM/dp/B0785LF167/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-skills&ie=UTF8&qid=1515060671&sr=1-1&keywords=spirit

It tries to load but then gives the error
In the Sonos app...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have you tried Opening the Sonos App and searching for Spirit Fm and selecting 'Add to Sonos Favorites', this should default to this station when requested via voice.

Edit:

I've done this in TuneIn, try Disabling the Spirit FM skill and then try again.
Hi. Yes, I’ve done that...that’s the point that I now get unsupported format reported in the Sonos App when I ask Alexa to play spiritFM.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi. Yes, I’ve done that...that’s the point that I now get unsupported format reported in the Sonos App when I ask Alexa to play spiritFM.

That's really strange as it's working for me - sorry, not much help for you! 🙂 Just to check you've removed the other Alexa Skill?
Yes. I’ve removed all skills. Added back in sonos and then SpiritFM. It appears to be specifically that SpiritFM and specifically speaking to Alexa via a Sonos speaker. Works fine if selected manually through the Sonos App but unsupported format if verbally asked for from
Alexa via Sonos ?