Question

Try Amazon Alexa With App Rather Than An Amazon Device

• 17 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I read the other day that it was possible to try Alexa with Sonos through the Alex app without even having a dedicated Alexa device. I have installed the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and linked my Amazon account with Sonos. Unfortunately when I attempt to discover devices it just says "Discovery failed".

Did I read misinformation about using the Alexa app as the listening device without even having an Amazon device? I'm thinking about getting an Amazon Echo dot as it's currently reduced from £50 to £35 as a black Friday deal. I wanted to get a feel for how it works with Sonos without splashing the cash.

Many thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You'll still need a microphone to use Voice Control 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I read the other day that it was possible to try Alexa with Sonos through the Alex app without even having a dedicated Alexa device. I have installed the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and linked my Amazon account with Sonos. Unfortunately when I attempt to discover devices it just says "Discovery failed".

Did I read misinformation about using the Alexa app as the listening device without even having an Amazon device? I'm thinking about getting an Amazon Echo dot as it's currently reduced from £50 to £35 as a black Friday deal. I wanted to get a feel for how it works with Sonos without splashing the cash.

Many thanks
In another thread someone pointed out that you can use the Amazon Music app for voice commands and to control your Sonos speakers - it works!