Trueplay for Android Setup?

• 2 March 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
So, I have a pair of Sonos One's set up on stands next to my massage chair in my mancave, and all is pretty good. Still hate the fact that I'm stuck with Alexa, but I'm hoping every day that we will get the Google integration alert soon. (twittling thumbs)

Anyway, yeah, I'm an Android guy and my tablet is on Nougat 7.1 and my Phone is Oreo. All's good there in controlling the speakers, Spotify, etc. The sound is pretty good. Wish they had BT functionality, but it's a good enough solution for now.

However, I just can't scratch this itch regarding this Trueplay Room Calibration feature for Apple devices. I know there are certain requirements, IOS9, etc, but my question is, if I can swipe a compatible Apple Phone for a few minutes to run the routine, does the calibration stick in the Sonos One itself, and it continues to work when I revert back to using the Android sources? Or, does the calibration reside in the Apple device which in turn will disable the calibration when different source device is driving?

Please advise.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

if I can swipe a compatible Apple Phone for a few minutes to run the routine, does the calibration stick in the Sonos One itself
Yes. The Trueplay filter profile is stored in the player. On Android controllers (and PC/Mac) you'll be left with a switch to enable/disable the tuning.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Good to know. Thanks for the confirmation. I assume you have working experience with this? Is the result worth the hassle?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Trueplay is worth performing on the Sonos One / Play:1 - - 100% do it.
Good to know. Thanks for the confirmation. I assume you have working experience with this? Is the result worth the hassle?
YMMV. In some rooms the digital correction may not be all that audible. But in others, where there are strong resonance peaks, Trueplay is well worth the effort. I wouldn't want to go back to a non-DRC solution.

I'm mostly Android but use an iPod Touch (6th gen) for Trueplay tuning.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks guys. Now, where to swipe a iPhone for a few minutes...
Oddly enough, I found more differences a month ago than I did with my 1 units when Trueplay was released a couple of years ago. Sonos seems to have tuned the tuning process.

It is certainly worth the trouble, but note that it may also not do anything noticeable if your placement/room is close to ideal already.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I was surprised Indint notice much for difference on my play:5. And it’s in strange corner in my kitchen where you would think tuning would impact.