Question

Trouble with radio via Alexa on Sonos One

• 24 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi

I'm having a series of issues with radio streaming on Sonos One when using the Alexa voice integration. Via Sonos app it is seamless.

In all scenarios I have done the basics (disabled and enabled the skills, I've even factory reset the Sonos, removed Alexa integration, relinked amazon accounts etc...)

Firstly, iheartradio just plain doesn't work. Ie skill is enabled but if I ask Alexa to play something on iheartradio then nothing happens.

Secondly, if using radio app as the default it now works, but if I leave the radio running for a period of time (I haven't tested, but let's say at least an hour) I can't stop the music via Alexa anymore (ie "Alexa, stop music" doesn't work. I now have to go into Sonos app and stop it.

I appreciate there are know issues all over the place. But has anyone who has experienced these type of issues found a seamless way to stream (and stop streaming!) Radio that works 99% of the time using Alexa on Sonos One?

Thanks

Greg

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I’m fairly sure that the iheart Alexa ‘skill’ is for Amazon Echo products, rather than Sonos Alexa ‘enabled’ speakers. You can only control the music services on Sonos that are in the Alexa App under the section ‘Settings > Music and then tap the Link New Service button’.
See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439  (see supported music services)

I think you will see that the iheart radio service is not one of the supported services. However…

You can still use Alexa to ‘explicitly’ control playback on Sonos when playing from any service, even if it’s not directly supported by Alexa, but functionality maybe limited. I would always include the Sonos ‘Room Name’ too when trying to stop the playing audio for a non-supported music service.

You may find you will have better luck controlling iheart radio on an Amazon echo product, using their skill that was likely made for that purpose.