Answered

This mornings update 28 February

• 28 February 2018
  • 17 replies

Badge
What’s the point updating and then finding problems. This morning I have updated my sonos app only to find I do not have any any music commands another than volume when using Alexa. Tried removing the Sonos skill app and reinstalling , no luck.
icon

Best answer by Shaun. Fareham 28 February 2018, 20:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

I have lost evwrything since i installed the update on 28 Feb 2019
Badge
Updated Sonos app and enabled Alexa without any issues. Loving my Sonos 5.1 setup, now with voice control mind blowing.
Badge
Might be good for some, others have real problem and some answers would be nice.
Badge
Where are all the tech wizards when you them?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I tried to install update via my smart phone and my PC and it failed both times. Both times it made it to the final step and then a messages saying the updated failed to install popped up.
Badge
It definitely something to do with the update. Playing my music everything was okay, stopped, updated, then the problem. Very frustrating when you have a system which is not functioning as it should.
It definitely something to do with the update. Playing my music everything was okay, stopped, updated, then the problem. Very frustrating when you have a system which is not functioning as it should.

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Badge
Many thanks for the input. I just don’t understand why the system works with Alexa other than the commands, Stop, forward, pause and resume commands. Volume command is ok, ask Alexa any question outside music commands, no problem. Have to say it so frustrating where a single undate can throw it into confusion and have to say I am questioning whether the system worth the aggro, we are not all tech wizards. Anyhow thanks for the help.
New Sonos user here - ordered two Sonos Ones on Sunday they arrived on Tuesday.
Ripped out my Echo straight away installed the new units, finding lots of issues with them...

Alexa doesn't work properly on them
Not finding radio stations

Good job I purchased them via Sonos Uk under the 100 day trial as I will give them another week then they are going back.
Sound is really good just the whole Alexa integration it simply isn't working right.

Shame... but I might be better off with two Play 1's instead
Badge
generious

What’s so frustrating is the sound is very good and was working well. Have to say cannot put up with a system which goes to pot on a simple update and it was the update that cause the problems today. I got better things to do than sending hours seeking solutions to problems. Last week I manage to solve the problem with some help, this week not.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Once again, the simple message is do not update until you think it is OK to do so. This forum will very quickly tell you of problems.

I updated because i have no network problems. I’ve been trying to work out what has changed. Alexa just fine and dandy.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
What’s the point updating and then finding problems. This morning I have updated my sonos app only to find I do not have any any music commands another than volume when using Alexa. Tried removing the Sonos skill app and reinstalling , no luck.

If after resetting your network as suggested, and no joy. Reset everything and set it all up from scratch again.

That should flush any gremlins out.
Badge
BoredofBalham

Some great news, set up from scratch again and hey presto back up and running again. The gremlins of the update gone to sleep.
Badge
Just wondering concerning the issue and what actions did I take that were different from the previous update problem of a few weeks ago when I lost musical commands from Alexa. Yesterday I did not remove the Alexa app completely, just disable it and reinstated it. Last time I completely remove the Alexa app came out of the skill application, then went back in to restate the Alexa app and everything was hunky-dory. My actions last night, by which I carried out a total reset could well be over the top and by doing so, I was in fact just carrying out an unnecessary action, where I achieve the goal by a long winded way. Anyway, we wait and see if my hunch is correct.
Badge
Above I am talking about the Sonos Alexa skill app not the actual Alexa app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just as a note to those who may stumble across this thread following challenges during or after updating.

The comment to "set-up from scratch" implies factory resetting your Sonos units.

- This won't damage your Sonos units
- This WILL remove ALL your music services, Sonos Playlists, music libraries and registrations
- This will NOT resolve any underlying network issues you have - So any functioning system may be short lived

- As a general rule it is NOT recommended to factory reset all your units (especially) unless directed otherwise by Sonos support.
Badge
I wasn’t implying using ‘factory resetting’ that’s the last port of call people should go. I do understand how people can get confused, I am one. Terminology by us who are not in anyway technical people in the field has its drawbacks, that’s why a turn to this Webb page for some help from professional people who might offer their services. Yesterday, for what ever reason there wasn’t much help available and it was left to us mortals to try are best.