The Solution to All Sonos/Alexa Problems!

• 13 December 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge
OK, I exaggerated, this is not a solution to all problems, but for me it did solve several problems, and it resolves several problems discussed on this board. It's not my solution - I read the suggestion in a thread - but I cannot find that thread to give the author proper credit.

The solution is ... make sure you have absolutely no devices with the same name. For example, I had an Echo in the bathroom called "Bathroom". I unplugged it and replaced it with a Sonos One called "Bathroom". The fact that I had two devices named "Bathroom", even though one was offline (in fact unplugged) really confused the Sonos/Alexa environment.

The earlier thread I mentioned recommended that I go to the Sonos app (I used the one on my Windows PC, but I assume any of the Sonos apps would work), and rename all your Sonos devices to end in the word "Sonos". So, for my example, "Bathroom" became "Bathroom Sonos". Once I did this, many of my problems went away. In particular, it seems to have solved these problems: need for speaking VERY loud for Sonos to hear me, system stopping after playing 1 song, system ignoring a request like "Alexa, volume down in "bathroom".

Thank you, thank you, thank you to the unknown person who recommended this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hey there, margoba. Thanks for sharing your experience with naming. The more we have people sharing best practices, the better! Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Was it this post? :)

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239