Answered

Switching off Ring notifications via Alexa

I have a number of Amazon Echo devices along with a number of Sonos (Alexa-enabled) speakers in the house. I only want the doorbell notifications to go to certain devices and need to exclude certain Sonos devices. However, information on the net appears to suggest doing this via the Alex App, but I can only de-select Amazon Echo devices in there and not Sonos speakers enabled through Alexa.

Is there any other way that I can stop these notifications as the Sonos app only appears to have rudimentary settings for Alexa in its own app.

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 28 October 2022, 15:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sorry, this is an Amazon Alexa function.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Sperugi

I can “mute” our Sonos speakers from the Alexa app on my phone.  Go to “Devices”, select “All Devices” from the options at the top of the app … you may need to scroll right to the end.

Find the “Ring” device, ours is simply called “Front Door”.  From there you should be able to select or deselect any of the Amazon or linked Sonos devices as announcement devices.

Hope this helps …

Cheers,
John.

Thanks for the responses. I guess the key here is that the functionality I am after is within the Alexa / Amazon sphere and ripface’s solution could be a partial solution to my issue, although ideally I would want to be able to mute specific skills on each device, rather than just the entire device, as there are other announcements that I’d want to retain. Probably a complication too far, but will go back to Amazon and see what the thoughts are there...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My option will *only* mute the Ring announcements and will not affect any others.  Give it a go!

: )

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Reach out if you get stuck!!

Ah - thanks for the extra feedback. Will try it out. Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Cool, let us all know how you get on!  Good to get some feedback which may help other members.

Hello @ripface John,

Glad I stumbled across this thread - I am facing the same use case as @sperugi, and have gone about resolving it in the way you suggested.

However, on my Doorbell ‘Announcement Devices’ page, I only can see the 2 Echo Dots we have, but not the Sonos One (this is an issue, as we use the Sonos One in our son’s room, but don’t want the doorbell noise + announcements going off when he’s sleeping!) The Sonos One is Alexa activated so we can do songs, nursery rhymes, white noise etc, so it is linked in.

Any idea about how to get the Sonos One to show in this list of devices?

Thanks,

N

***UPDATE*** I have figured out how to solve this issue a different way. Go: Devices > All Devices > Sonos Speaker > Communication > Announcements → Disabled

Hope that helps!

I too cannot see my Sonos One in the list for any of my ring cameras. I added an echo show 5 gen2 last week and since then the Sonos doesn’t show as an announcement device. I did check as mentioned the Communications setting and it’s enabled. 

it did work before the echo show was connected. 

Just as an update from myself, I’ve looked at this again now and the only devices showing on the doorbell camera, as per ripface’s advice are the Amazon devices - Echo + Fire tablet. Those can be disabled individually, which I have now done. However, the Sonos devices, enabled with Alexa, no longer appear and neither do they actually announce someone at the door either. I had thought that this was down to my not updating the skill, but maybe Amazon took the decision to restrict the announcement devices to their own, rather than those such as Sonos speakers.

Ultimately, I think I am where I was (albeit in a different way) as I’ve stopped the announcement happening in the rooms I wanted to stop it, but I am no longer getting an announcement on the Sonos speakers that would have ordinarily dipped the sound to make an announcement, so if we are playing loud music, we won’t hear the doorbell. As long as I have my watch or phone, I will know someone is there anyway, but the rest of the family won’t.

I might be missing another setting now to enable the Sonos speakers as announcement devices, but the App is so complex, I haven’t found a setting that would affect that.

Thanks for the update. It must be something Alexa decided to disable cause there is not other option anywhere for it. Other announcements work like reminders but not ring cameras. Maybe they can fix this.