Answered

Suddenly alexa is not working with my voice enabled Sonos Speakers S1 app

Userlevel 2

I am using the S1 app for my Sonos speakers.  Recently my voice enabled Sonos speakers are not working with Alexa.  I can control my speakers in the S1 app but not with Alexa.

When I look at the Alexa app the voice enabled Sonos speakers are showing offline.

• I have disabled and re-enabled Sonos Skill in Alexa
  • Alexa does not find any devices when I re-enabled Sonos skill in the Alexa app
  • I have removed and added Alexa voice enable to each speaker
  • I have powered off and on the speakers

Did something change?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 March 2024, 17:51

View original

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dvantage 

You can go to Settings » System » [name of room] » Amazon Alexa » Wake Word Chime and turn it on.

I hope this helps.

The update fixed it thanks.

i didn’t realise how reliant I had become on Alexa! Glad she is back!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you for fixing this! Much appreciated. 

Hi @gduncan3595 et al

We have released an update for S1 that we believe addresses this issue. Please check your system for updates and test. If you continue to see this issue after updating, we recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you - my house has come back to life 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Dbuiz 

For Beta issues that forum isn‘t the right place. 
For the S1 fix there was no app update necessary. You just have to update Sonos firmware from within latest S1 app. 

i have a sonos one and am experiencing this issue.

when i try to search for system updates in the s1 app it prompts me tom upgrade the iphone app.  the updated app says its not compatible with the device.  Please advise how can Inipdate the frimware.

Upgrading the app on your phone is the first step, then you need to check for updates in the controller, and update your speakers. Pretty sure it’s in settings > system > system updates.

Badge

Regardless of blame, it’s still been three days since a high impact outage with no update and that’s utterly unacceptable 

I’m a lead software engineer in charge a $6+ Billion a year OLTP transaction engine.  Anybody interrupts me for an update in the middle of a high impact outage, they are losing their frigging job.  Period.  You will get an update when there is something to update. 

That’s a ridiculous answer.  I have led teams resolving major outages in the payments industry and you have to give hourly reports to management on what is happening.  Management will then disseminate the information to the necessary stakeholders.

Badge

Even if the issue occurs after a Sonos update, it can be necessary to fix it on Amazons side. Two partners have to adapt their software each other to get something working like Alexa. Sometimes A has to change something and sometimes B… But imo also if Sonos has to fix it, why don’t just wait until it’s fixed. Blaiming someone or complaining doesn’t make work on it faster.

That can be true if the Sonos update was attempting to utilise new functionality on the Amazon side of the fence which had issues  but I don’t believe it was the case here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@petetobin 

Only Sonos and Amazon will know the answer to this. All discussion about the issue imho isn’t worth it any more as the problem is resolved and Alexa is working fine again. 😎