Question

Still Waiting for Google Assistant update...Will update bring full compatibility with Chromecast standard?

• 4 February 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Currently I'm only able to cast to my Sonos One speakers from the Google Music app on Android devices. I can't cast to Sonos from any other apps on Android devices and I can't cast at all from Apple devices.

Why hasn't Sonos implemented full Chromecast standard and full functionality of the cast feature from the many apps and devices that support casting? Seems like a user unfriendly thing to do.

Will Sonos implement full Chromecast compatibility with the coming Google Assistant update? The Google Assistant update can't come soon enough. I purchased two Sonos One speakers based solely on the promise of Google Assistant. Please deliver sooner rather than later!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, deitiphobia. We are working hard to bring the Google Assistant functionality to Sonos as soon as possible. We will be sure to forward your request, along with all other requests for this feature, to the necessary department. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If anything like Sonos implementation of Alexa .... it will do for the most part what a normal google assistant will do. Can you chromecast play to a Google Assistant. If you can there may be hope then you can with Sonos (not guaranteed as with Alexa some features are reserved to true manufacturer devices). It would be nice it it does add Google Cast ability. With Google Cast Ability and upcoming Airplay2 that would give Sonos the prime newer direct streaming methods (having bypassed Bluetooth and airplay1 for their shortcomings).
Userlevel 2
Badge
Also waiting on this too. Hope that the Sonos team is making good progress!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Yes! I've switched from Sonos to Chromecast built-in speakers some time ago (only Connect was saved). Now when Google Assistant is promised I consider Chromecast audio functionality will be also available and if yes I'll switch back to Sonos (Airplay 2, stereo pairing, alarms, Apple Music etc. make it very promising system). If Chromecast will not be available it's will be very very sad and I'll buy 2 Google Home Max speakers that have line-in without visible lag, stereo pairing, Google Assistant and Chromecast of course.