Stereo pairs with different speakers (Rant!)

• 27 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Apparently, like other users, I am quite frustrated by the fact I have to have exactly the same speakers in order to form a stereo pair.

Some of the comments (I guess from Sonos staff) say things like "It would be 'ridiculous' to have a pair with different speakers". This implies that Sonos is trying to be a high quality audio system, not just a streaming system. In my opinion that will never be possible with essentially single box speakers. I cant believe it will ever compare to the quality of my main HiFi system (Which cost about eight thousand pounds). Sonos is great for streaming music around the house with mobile phone control. That's its for.

I have had Play 1 speakers for a while but recently added a Sonos One in order to get Alexa. This is in my bedroom, so I thought I would use the 'spare' Play 1 in the bedroom to form a stereo pair. But the system wont allow it. I find it hard to believe that they are very different acoustically.

I think users should be able to chose what systems they can pair. In many cases in a domestic property users wont be static is a room but want to have the same music all around the house.

Maybe its just a marketing ploy to sell more kit ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Some of the comments (I guess from Sonos staff) say things like "It would be 'ridiculous' to have a pair with different speakers".

Sonos staff is identified as such so you won't have to guess whether you're talking to a user or Sonos staff.

Also, there is a third party app called "sonosequencr" that apparently can pair a play:1 and Sonos One together. It's not supported by Sonos of course, but I've yet to hear anyone here report having issues with it.
Thanks Danny
>>there is a third party app called "sonosequencr" that apparently can pair a play:1 and Sonos One
I will check that out !
You have an 8 grand hifi system and you want to listen to unmatched speakers from a system you regard as low audio quality? OK.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
You have an 8 grand hifi system and you want to listen to unmatched speakers from a system you regard as low audio quality? OK.

Take a second to comprehend what the OP is saying (that for example for background music owners should have the option to stereo pair different speakers, for ex p1 and One).

To build on the Sonosequencer advice, it can even pair a p5 and p1 - though I've never tried this and am not suggesting this is supported YMMV.