Stereo pairing Sonos One with Play 1

• 11 November 2017
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Can I pair my Play 1 with a new One ? I was told this would not be possible ?
If not, is there a software crack available to allow this or is there a community which could make one ?
If not, will Sonos release it as a nearby future feature and is a release data available ?

I don't want to buy another play 1 to have stereo pairing available.
Having to purchase a new pair of One's while already having a Play 1 makes my Play 1 obsolete.
Sonos not providing a backwards compatibility to stereo pair between Play 1 and One which are in fact identical speakers would be very disappointing and I may rather prefer to chose for a system from a different supplier if customers loyalty will not be rewarded by being able to leverage the previous investment in the Play 1.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I am afraid the flaw in your argument is 'are identical', when in fact they have very few common components and have different sonic profiles. The One is not a Play:1 with Alexa. What is to stop you buying another Play:1 and an Echo Dot? I see no obligation on anyone to buy two speakers.
Yes, by all means go to a "different supplier" that has Alexa enabled devices and allows you to stereo pair them with other dissimilar units. When you find them, be sure to post here who they are. We will be waiting. :8
Badge
I am afraid the flaw in your argument is 'are identical', when in fact they have very few common components and have different sonic profiles. The One is not a Play:1 with Alexa. What is to stop you buying another Play:1 and an Echo Dot? I see no obligation on anyone to buy two speakers.

As far as I know you cannot simply connect a Play:1 to the Amazon Dot. Do you know different? Would be perfect for this because I have both Play:1 and the dot already but use separately. I was hoping the Sonos One was the answer to my Alexa using Sonos problem. I don't want to spend over £400 to be able to connect them.
A lot of the media refer the two speakers as being practically the same and they do look very similar so it's easy to mistake them as being basically the same inside. I'm just a bit confused why the One and Play:1 cannot connect to each other ?????
Enable the Sonos skill and you can use your Dot to control music on any Sonos device ever made. Note: The Alexa replies will come out of the Dot, not Sonos. See this link:

://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-now-playing-on-sonos-6791301
Seems a pretty fair request
This is crazy. With a Playbase and 2x Play 1s currently set up as surround sound cinema, I've bought a Play One to replace my Amazon Echo Dot. I wanted to recreate the surround sound experience but with 1x One and 1x Play 1 - but this can't be done - I agree with other comments, it does compell people to buy a pair of Ones which then makes the Play 1s I have redundant, having only purchased them in the last 12 months or to dismantle the surround sound - lets face it the main room for the Alexa functionality is the living room. This is an 'own goal' by Sonos and suggests they haven't thought about how consumers will want to use the One. I'll be returning mine which is real shame - I was a real advocate for Sonos.
Very disappointed with Sonos on the subject of not being able to pair a Sonos One with a Play:1.
My wife and I treated ourselves to a Sonos One for Christmas with the primary intention of creating a stero pair with our existing Play:1.
Having the Amazon assistant was secondary.
After unsuccessfully trying to pair them I found out on the internet forums, to my dismay that it couldn’t be done.
The Sonos One was returned for a refund this morning.
Own goal Sonos! 😠
I have to agree with BevLCo. My words exactly! Since Sonos promotes "grouping" the Play One I assumed they could be put into a stereo pair with the similar Play1. I wanted the Play One specifically for Apple Airplay - I already have an Amazon Echo. I bought two Play Ones assuming I could put them on different floors in a 3 story house and add them to an existing stereo pair. I assumed any variation in the acoustic quality of the speakers would be leveled out by TruePlay speaker tuning which Sonos seems very proud of. I can’t understand why I would need two speakers in the same room that have both Amazon Alexa and Apple Airplay. It seems like redundant redundancy to me.

I am not sure I would have purchased the Play One if I had known this. I may have to think about this over the next week. I hate doing returns but I don’t know.

The speakers themselves are very nice looking and the all white new design looks really nice on my marble kitchen countertops. It may be the reason I keep them. If I didn’t already have seven rooms set up with Play1s and soundbars, I would think the speakers themselve are a good value considering they allow the Sonos App, Airplay and built in Amazon Alexa.

However, count me extremely disappointed that the Play One cannot be put into a stereo group with the similar Play1.
Jaime
Badge
I too am extremely disappointed that the Play One cannot be put into a stereo group with the similar Play1.
Brad
I do believe there’s an app for that.....
https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/pairing-a-play-1-with-the-new-sonos-one-6791476/index10.html

Not tried by me though
If I owned a Play:1 Speaker and bought the much newer (better sounding) 'Sonos One' modern speaker, with built in Airplay and Alexa and (wrongly) thought that it would stereo pair with my old speaker, then it makes more sense to me to sell the older Play:1 speaker and put the money towards another new 'Sonos One' and get my system more upto date with all the added features that a new Sonos One brings to a Sonos System ... I don’t think I would have returned the newer speaker, but that’s just me, perhaps? The Play:1’s seem to hold their price quite well in the pre-owned market too.
Badge
I listen to music in the kitchen with a pair of play:1 speakers. My goal would be to add a play one Alexa enabled speaker to order groceries via amazon prime.