Question

Spotify & TuneIn not working on Alexa or Google Assistant

• 3 November 2020
  • 12 replies

I have had various Sonos Ones for some time. All of a sudden Alexa is no longer connecting to either Spotify or TuneIn. You give the instruction, Alexa confirms the request…….but then silence.

I have changed voice assistants to Google.... same result.

I have removed both accounts and re-set….same result. 

I have called Sonos and they say responsibility lies with Amazon.

I have called Amazon and they say responsibility lies with Sonos.

Given that I have the same issue with Google Assistant, I suspect this is something to do with Sonos.

PLEASE HELP - I JUST WANT TO ASK ALEXA TO PLAY SOME MICHAEL BUBLE!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Does Spotify still work via the App?

If you open the Sonos App>Settings>Services & Voice are your devices Enabled?

If you open the Alexa App>Devices are your Sonos devices shown as off line?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes - voice is enabled and working in the I can ask Alexa what the time is, what the weather is etc. 

When I ask for Alexa to “play music from artist XYZ”, she will respond “playing music from artist XYZ on Spotify”…..however it will be followed by silence. Same applies to Google Assistant.

I can play directly from my app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you open the Sonos App>Settings>Services & Voice are your devices Enabled?

If you open the Alexa App>Devices are your Sonos devices shown as off line?

Did you check these?

Yes - yes I have done both.

Voice is enabled and the Alexa app is saying the speakers are online. That is why I can ask Alexa what the time is and she will answer. I can also ask Alexa to play some music and she will respond saying she will play some music from Spotify, however follow up with nothing. Same with TuneIn.

Any other suggestions on what I can do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Any other suggestions on what I can do?

Please look at my post on generic unexplained issues: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/tips-tricks-resolving-random-issues-impacting-sonos-devices-6845346

This may well be the cause as you’re experiencing this across two assistants.

Unfortunately no luck.

I rebooted my rooter and factory reset all 5 Sonos speakers. I then set them all up…….and neither Alexa nor Google Assistant will play music on Spotify or TuneIn. 

They recognise the command and repeat the command, however this is followed by silence

i’m tearing my hair out now!

please help

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @OllyWolly, thank reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern It looks like you have done some of the basic troubleshooting to address this concern. We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent in resolving this issue, it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 
I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting with your full network setup including the make and model of each device and to do some tests on the Sonos app to isolate the issue to provide the best option for you.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Userlevel 2

I also have this issue with Alexa playing a Spotify playlist

She will reply with playing XXX from playlist, however nothing is played.

If I re-issue the command again, it will play but only works on the second attempt.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mike-uk, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I’d be happy to help you all here and it would be best for those having trouble submitting a diagnostic report of your system for better understanding and see what would be best for the setup. Reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 2

Thanks @Rowena B. 

Diagnostic: 1148762218

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mike-uk, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me check it for you.s.

Based on the diagnostic, there's interference in your wireless network that is caused by wireless congestion, and an audio playback failure was detected in your Sonos system the audio feed is too slow. This could be the reason why you're having an issue.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps, to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection. 

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, wire one speaker to your router and test Sonos' performance. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and run another diagnostic report. Kindly include the confirmation number in your response for us to check. 

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.