Spotify issue with Alexa app on Beam

• 10 October 2018
  • 4 replies

I've googled and found a lot of people who've had the same issue as this, but I haven't been able to fix it. I hope someone here can...

I'm helping out an elderly lady who asked me for advice on getting a soundbar. Her requirements were decent sound, easy to use and Amazon Alexa compatibility - she's already invested in the Amazon ecosystem and wanted to add functionality to her living room.

After some research, she totally ignored my suggestion and went with the Sonos Beam. No matter, I went round to set it up, and all seemed fine except for one problem which seems small to me but not to her. We're unable to play Spotify via Alexa on the Sonos beam.

Spotify via her phone works just fine on the Beam.
All other Alexa commands work great via the Beam
Spotify via Alexa on her other Echo devices works just fine.

I've tried all the suggestions I can find, including wiping/logging out/uninstalling all apps and re-setting up from scratch. I've checked that all accounts are set up to UK
I've reset the Beam to factory settings and set it all up again, repeatedly.
She's had the beam for a week and is already talking about sending it back. I agree, but thought I'd cover all bases first with the question on here. If it's any use, I did a diagnostic thingy, the number is 2122074151

Cheers!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Forgot to add the most important part - when asking Alexa to play on Spotify, it just says 'To play Spotify link your premium account first using the Alexa App. It is a premium account.
Silence is deafening. Pretty poor, appreciate this is not official Sonos support but they happily direct you here to be ignored. Sonos Beam shall be returned.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Is Spotify set as default music service on Alexa?
As per castalla's comment above, but also note you need to setup up the Sonos in-built Spotify Service from a mobile controller device that already has a fully working Spotify App that is logged into the users premium account. The Spotify App is used for the authorisation and link of the Spotify service to the Sonos App. So make sure the Spotify App is working first and then do the Sonos setup.

To then get Spotify to work with Alexa, you need to install Spotify as a 'music service' in the Amazon Alexa App from 'Settings/Music'and then go onto set it as the default music service in that App too. That is also done in 'Settings/Music'.

Hope that helps.?