Question

Spotify / Alexa voice command

• 22 November 2017
  • 20 replies

I'm excited to hear that Sonos is finally voice integrated with Alexa. HOwever, I've had no luck getting it to play over my Sonos speakers. My accounts are connected, apps updated, etc. Spotify will play over the dot and echo, but when I ask it to play in a particular room I receive an error message. I can play Tunein stations, Amazon music, etc. But nothing from Spotify. I've set Spotify to be my default player in Alexa app, but still no luck. Anyone else having this issue? Ideas on how to make this integration finally work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I am having the same issue. I am being told that 'That my Spotify device does not support streaming on this device'. I have a student premium account which is the same, I think, as a premium account and never caused issues before.
I have a call in, when they call me back I’ll post the fix. Unfortunately, alexa will now no longer play any of my Spotify playlists as well. Guessing they’re having integration problems when Spotify voice control launched today.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Also, when I ask for a flash briefing I get told 'here is the flash briefing' and then silence!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a call in, when they call me back I’ll post the fix. Unfortunately, alexa will now no longer play any of my Spotify playlists as well. Guessing they’re having integration problems when Spotify voice control launched today.

Are you using the command structure 'Alexa, Play -Play List Name-, 'Playlist' (You must use the word Playlist for the command to work.)
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Did you choose Spotify as your default music player in the Alexa app?

Pretty sure this is required for premium account.
I get the same message as charlynch4 . Anyone got any news about this?
I too am having issue with Spotify intergration. I have selected Spotify as my defualt music services, it is a premium account also. When i ask Alexa to play something i get the response "Sorry, something went wrong". If i change defualt service back to Amazon, hey presto everything works. I have tried other suggestions like disableing and re-enabling the Sonos skill on the Alexa app and on the Alexa web app; both to no avail. Regardless of which service is selected the general functions seem to work like the weather etc but i really want my music playing from spotify, not Amazon!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I too am having issue with Spotify intergration. I have selected Spotify as my defualt music services, it is a premium account also. When i ask Alexa to play something i get the response "Sorry, something went wrong". If i change defualt service back to Amazon, hey presto everything works. I have tried other suggestions like disableing and re-enabling the Sonos skill on the Alexa app and on the Alexa web app; both to no avail. Regardless of which service is selected the general functions seem to work like the weather etc but i really want my music playing from spotify, not Amazon!

After changing Spotify to the default music source, ask Alexa to discover devices in the Alexa app on iOS or Android Smart Home>Devices>Discover

After changing Spotify to the default music source, ask Alexa to discover devices in the Alexa app on iOS or Android Smart Home>Devices>Discover

Thanks. After i initial disabled and re-enabled the Sonos skill on the app i did do he 'Discover Devices' procedure. I will try this again tonight though; i will change defuat service back to amazon and then Spotify and go through the 'Discover Devices' procedure; hopefully that will work.

Thanks, again, will let you know how i get on.
I'm experiencing the same issues as others have described "Sorry, something went wrong" with no explanation..... The reviews over on Amazon are the same. There's nothing like trying to show someone a new product you purchased and then it does not function correctly and then you get the "how much was that?"
Sonos, don't you have super smart, highly educated, elite individuals that are paid to prevent products from being released prematurely?:)

Thanks. After i initial disabled and re-enabled the Sonos skill on the app i did do he 'Discover Devices' procedure. I will try this again tonight though; i will change defuat service back to amazon and then Spotify and go through the 'Discover Devices' procedure; hopefully that will work.

Thanks, again, will let you know how i get on.

I asked Alexa to discover devices, unfortunately to no avail, it just says ‘No new devices found’. Any other suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay lets try resetting your voice control. Can you follow the steps I've listed in the answer in this post.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Okay lets try resetting your voice control. Can you follow the steps I've listed in the answer in this post.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239

Just one question; on the step where you say to add a new speaker etc should I have reset the Sonos one first by unplugging and plugging back in whilst holding the connect button?
I got through my earlier issue - Spotify was not my Alexa default music service - and now Im getting this issue, Alexa saying Spotify does not support streaming on this device. It is a premium account.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just one question; on the step where you say to add a new speaker etc should I have reset the Sonos one first by unplugging and plugging back in whilst holding the connect button?

No this isn't necessary.

No this isn't necessary.

Hi @UKMedia. So I followed all your instructions but once again, to no avail. Still getting “Sorry, something went wrong”. Highly irritating now!

Do you have any other suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No this isn't necessary.

Hi @UKMedia. So I followed all your instructions but once again, to no avail. Still getting “Sorry, something went wrong”. Highly irritating now!

Hi

Can you check the Alex App>Settings>History and confirm that Alexa has heard you?

Then I think we need to try something outside of Alexa; can you power down for 10 secs and then switch back on the following devices in this order, waiting for each device to boot before moving to the next:

- Router;
- Any wired Sonos device;
- Your Sonos One.

Please retest.

No this isn't necessary.

Hi

Can you check the Alex App>Settings>History and confirm that Alexa has heard you?

Then I think we need to try something outside of Alexa; can you power down for 10 secs and then switch back on the following devices in this order, waiting for each device to boot before moving to the next:

- Router;
- Any wired Sonos device;
- Your Sonos One.

Please retest.

Hi @UKMedia, really sorry it took me a while to get back to ou on this one. Unfortunately with no good news. I checked Alexa history and sure enought the text dialogue is there so it's hearing me. I did the router / wired / sonos one rested you mentioned above and again to no avail.

I went back and did the big reset procedure again and still nothing. Tested it with Amzon music and its worked like usual but then switched back to Spotify for default and "Sorry, something went wrong".

Its really bugging me know. Must be something i can do!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This must be something specific to your Alexa - Spotify linking. If you select the Alexa App>Music, Video & Books>Spotify>Go to Spotify App does it take you to the correct Spotify account and can you play music from the Spotify App?

Also, can you confirm that Spotify is a music source in your Sonos App and that you can play Spotify from your Sonos App to your Sonos devices okay?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Also what syntax are you using to control Spotify?