Question

Spotify account doesn’t support streaming on this device

• 24 December 2017
  • 16 replies

As the title states, have recently purchased a sonos one with the added Alexa voice services. But whenever I try to use Alexa to play music through Spotify it keeps saying that it’s not supported, have looked at similar threads and tried all the steps they list but still can’t get it work. My Spotify account is a premium family account.

Any help will be much appreciated

Kind regards

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Can you confirm what country you are located in?

Next, can you open the Alexa App>Smart Home and confirm that all of your device names are unique and make sure that any Alexa Groups created are also unique? (No device and group names must not be duplicated across another group or device)

Also can you confirm that Sonos One can play music from Spotify via the Sonos app?
Hi UKMedia, I am experiencing the same issue. I have setup Alexa on my Sonos One and it works except I cannot use the voice command to play Spotify through Sonos.

I am located in the UK and all of my device names are unique. I have no Alexa Groups.

Please can you advise?

Thank you.

Jonathan
I’m having the same problem as you. Have you had an answer yet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

So there are a few things to check but before that, can you confirm the command Syntax you are using when getting this error?

Please check these steps and retest:

1/ Are you logged into another Amazon account on the device your are using to set-up Alexa?
2/ Are you logged into another Spotify account on any of your controlling devices?
3/ If you select Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media>Spotify. Is this the correct Spotify account? Can you navigate to your correct Spotify account via the link 'Go to Spotify.com?
4/ Have you set-up Spotify as you default music source in Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media>Choose default music service>Spotify?
5/ If you open the PC Alexa App (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk) and select 'Smart Home>Devices>Forget All' followed by 'Discover'

If the problem persists, then me may need to rest your voice control as per the steps I've listed within the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Hi UKMedia,

When I ask the question "Alexa, play Spotify" she says "Your Spotify doesn't support streaming on this device".

I have followed your steps above and this hasn't worked. Just for my understanding, are you saying I cannot be logged into the Spotify App or the Amazon App on my phone if I want to use Alexa / Sonos on my phone.

I am now trying to follow the steps in the link you have posted somewhere else. However, I cannot locate "Voice Recognition" in Settings in the Sonos app as you mention. When I go to Settings I see Add a Player or SUB, Add a BOOST or BRIDGE, Room Settings, etc. but I cannot see Voice Recognition.

Please advise and suggest what else I can do to ensure I can use voice commands via Alexa to play Spotify via Sonos.

Best,
Jonathan
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi UKMedia,

When I ask the question "Alexa, play Spotify" she says "Your Spotify doesn't support streaming on this device".

Hi This isn't a valid command. Can you try 'Alexa, Play soft jazz'?

I have followed your steps above and this hasn't worked. Just for my understanding, are you saying I cannot be logged into the Spotify App or the Amazon App on my phone if I want to use Alexa / Sonos on my phone.

Only if they are logged in to different accounts, if they are the same then there is no problem.

I am now trying to follow the steps in the link you have posted somewhere else. However, I cannot locate "Voice Recognition" in Settings in the Sonos app as you mention. When I go to Settings I see Add a Player or SUB, Add a BOOST or BRIDGE, Room Settings, etc. but I cannot see Voice Recognition.

If you select Sonos App(Android or iOS)>Settings>Room Settings>{Your Sonos One} you should see Voice Services at the top.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Did this work correctly:

3/ If you select Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media>Spotify. Is this the correct Spotify account? Can you navigate to your correct Spotify account via the link 'Go to Spotify.com?
I just asked said, "Alexa, Play Soft Jazz" and got exactly the same response - "Your Spotify account doesn't support streaming on this device".

This is after I followed all of the commands you mention in your other post.

Please can you advise what I need to do?
I got it working in the end... turns out I hadn't connected to my Premium account. Thanks for your help!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Great news. 🙂 Happy New Year!
I am connected to my premium account in both the Alexa app and the Sonos app and when I use the command “Alexa. Play...”, it asks me to connect to my premium account on the Alexa app. Any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

So there are a few things to check but before that, can you confirm the command Syntax you are using when getting this error?

Please check these steps and retest:

1/ Are you logged into another Amazon account on the device your are using to set-up Alexa?
2/ Are you logged into another Spotify account on any of your controlling devices?
4/ Have you set-up Spotify as you default music source in Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media>Choose default music service>Spotify?
5/ If you open the PC Alexa App (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk) and select 'Smart Home>Devices>Forget All' followed by 'Discover'

If the problem persists, then me may need to rest your voice control as per the steps I've listed within the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239

Can you answer each of these questions?
All sorted now. Thank you, you’re a legend 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
All sorted now. Thank you, you’re a legend :-)

Great news which one sorted your issue, so others may benefit?
The linked comment you posted above.
I had an account conflict and it was only sorted by forgetting and Re discovering devices once the conflict was resolved.
Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Happy New Year 🙂