Answered

Speaker Volume Control With Alexa Sonos One

• 4 December 2017
  • 10 replies

I added a new Alexa Sonos One speaker to 4 existing Sonos One speakers. Alexa plays music to all 5 speakers with Amazon Music but only controls the volume on the Alexa enabled speaker so I have to use the app on my I Phone 6s to control the volume. I found info in the support pages that say I need to go to the rooms tab and tap group to link them all but the Room Settings in the I Phone App does not give me any such option. Any advice. There is really no point in having Alexa if I have to carry my I Phone around the house to control the volume. Any help would be appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 December 2017, 08:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I have done virtually the same system and have the same problem! I added a Series One to a previously existing (and they were all great!) system, but the addition of the Series One speaker has screwed it all up! I can not control the old systems with my newly added Series One speaker and the Alexa App on my iPad. Worse than that, I can't seem to make the various components work together! I try to use my iPad as the principle controlle in my bedroom, but it will not play any music, although Alexa does respond to my voice commands. I don't know for sure that ALL are using the same wireless network and consider that as suspect. All of the old speakers aree controllable from my office desktop and Sonos program, but the new Series One seems to be out of touch. Any sugggestions or instructions will be most welcome!
I added a new Alexa Sonos One speaker to 4 existing Sonos One speakers. Alexa plays music to all 5 speakers with Amazon Music but only controls the volume on the Alexa enabled speaker so I have to use the app on my I Phone 6s to control the volume. I found info in the support pages that say I need to go to the rooms tab and tap group to link them all but the Room Settings in the I Phone App does not give me any such option. Any advice. There is really no point in having Alexa if I have to carry my I Phone around the house to control the volume. Any help would be appreciated.

JH Champ... you do need to go to the rooms 'tab' from the main bottom bar in the app, where you can then select the 'group' button option to combine your rooms/speakers together... you appear to mention you are going into 'settings/room settings' - that is not the area where you will find the rooms tab to group your speakers together.

I hope that helps to clarify where you need to go to group your Sonos rooms.
I have done virtually the same system and have the same problem! I added a Series One to a previously existing (and they were all great!) system, but the addition of the Series One speaker has screwed it all up! I can not control the old systems with my newly added Series One speaker and the Alexa App on my iPad. Worse than that, I can't seem to make the various components work together! I try to use my iPad as the principle controlle in my bedroom, but it will not play any music, although Alexa does respond to my voice commands. I don't know for sure that ALL are using the same wireless network and consider that as suspect. All of the old speakers aree controllable from my office desktop and Sonos program, but the new Series One seems to be out of touch. Any sugggestions or instructions will be most welcome!
KurtPPidduck,

You can easily tell if you are running your new Sonos One speaker on the same network, just go to settings in the app and then go to the option that says 'About my Sonos System' where you will see a list of all your Sonos devices and their IP addresses in your current setup.
I added a new Alexa Sonos One speaker to 4 existing Sonos One speakers. Alexa plays music to all 5 speakers with Amazon Music but only controls the volume on the Alexa enabled speaker so I have to use the app on my I Phone 6s to control the volume. I found info in the support pages that say I need to go to the rooms tab and tap group to link them all but the Room Settings in the I Phone App does not give me any such option. Any advice. There is really no point in having Alexa if I have to carry my I Phone around the house to control the volume. Any help would be appreciated.I added a new Alexa Sonos One speaker to 4 existing Sonos One speakers. Alexa plays music to all 5 speakers with Amazon Music but only controls the volume on the Alexa enabled speaker so I have to use the app on my I Phone 6s to control the volume. I found info in the support pages that say I need to go to the rooms tab and tap group to link them all but the Room Settings in the I Phone App does not give me any such option. Any advice. There is really no point in having Alexa if I have to carry my I Phone around the house to control the volume. Any help would be appreciated.

JH Champ... you do need to go to the rooms 'tab' from the main bottom bar in the app, where you can then select the 'group' button option to combine your rooms/speakers together... you appear to mention you are going into 'settings/room settings' - that is not the area where you will find the rooms tab to group your speakers together.

I hope that helps to clarify where you need to go to group your Sonos rooms.

Ok I have the same issue. It doesn't seem to matter where the speakers are grouped, Alexa is only adjusting the volume on my Sonos One and not the rest of my Sonos speakers. The Echo Dot I had hard wired into one of my speakers to test drive Alexa before getting the Sonos One managed to control the group volume. Come on Sonos - fix please?
If you have (for example) two speakers in two separate rooms say a "Sonos One" in the Kitchen and a "Play-1" in the lounge and choose to group the two rooms together in the Rooms Tab in the Sonos app ... the volume control will show a group volume and the two individual speaker volumes will emerge from the group slider bar whenever you begin to adjust the volume.

So in the Sonos app you can adjust the group volume or the individual volume of either room

The hardware buttons on the two speakers though work slightly differently, they only adjust the volume of the Room they are located in ... there is no way to control the 'group' volume using the hardware volume buttons.

In a similar manner Alexa works the same way as the hardware volume controls in that at the moment there is no group volume control. Alexa will only adjust the volume of either the kitchen or the lounge, even if the two rooms are grouped together.

Maybe at some later development stage we will see an additional option to voice control the group volume via Alexa but I've not seen anything from Sonos to say they have any plans to do this, so we will have to wait and see what happens.

I'm quite happy that the Alexa commands work the same way as the hardware volume control setup, personally speaking ...and the group volume control via the app is working fine too albeit I would like to see a numerical 'representation' for the current volume somewhere near to each of the volume slider bars.
Badge
In my case I have two Sonos Ones and a Play 5 in the living room, I can’t say they’re both in the living room so they end in Living Room and Living Room 2. Yes, they are grouped and I love how the volume control works in the app, but it’s completely unusable via Alexa. Basically, I need to carry my phone around in case I need to turn down the volume on the whole group suddenly. This really needs to be resolved some how. What’s interesting is I can pause all speakers in a group...just need to adjust volume on a group of speakers together.
In my case I have two Sonos Ones and a Play 5 in the living room, I can’t say they’re both in the living room so they end in Living Room and Living Room 2. Yes, they are grouped and I love how the volume control works in the app, but it’s completely unusable via Alexa. Basically, I need to carry my phone around in case I need to turn down the volume on the whole group suddenly. This really needs to be resolved some how. What’s interesting is I can pause all speakers in a group...just need to adjust volume on a group of speakers together.

Yes, I am in agreement. I would like to also see the group volume controlled via Alexa as well as the individual volumes. It’s something for the Sonos and Amazon development teams to consider. Maybe they will pick up this idea from this thread. I have seen a few others in the community also request this feature.
Jamesx4, you don't have to carry around your phone: you can just say, "alexa, lower volume in [xyz] room". That said, we should not have to do that - we should be able to say "lower volume" to reduce the volume on the entire Group of speakers. It burns me up to see how many commands have been mucked up on Sonos One. The absolute worst is that when you say "Play Hotel California," it no longer simply plays the song; now it has to regale you with a virtual exegesis on what it plans to do: "playing hotel california remastered for Spotify, playing on TV room." Come on Spotify coders, go back to basics and get it right!
Badge
Yeah, that works if I have a Sonos One in two different rooms, but I can’t tell Alexa on my Sonos One to turn down the volume in another room which is my Play:5. Of course, my Sonos Ones and Play:5 are actually in the same room, but I can’t actually set it up that way in Sonos app.
That exact function works fine for me! I can tell the Sonos One in my living room to turn down the volume on my Play:5 in the family room - flawless. BUT, I used to be able to say "volume down" and that lowered it in all rooms. That functionality bit the dust last week, and without doing any updates. My One has a ghost inside instead of Alexa.