Sonos with HomePod

• 5 January 2018
  • 12 replies

Will I be able to ask an Apple HomePod to play music from Apple Music? I am considering changing from Apple Music to Spotify so I can use Alexa to play music on my Sonos system but would like to know if it is worth waiting for the HomePod?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

If there is one thing that HomePods will do for sure, it is play Apple Music via Siri! Does knowing that allow you to decide - only you can say.
Sorry I should have been clearer in my original question, I would like to know if HomePod will allow me to control my Sonos system?
The only Apple/Sonos integration announced is for Airplay 2. This is a streaming protocol, not voice control, though I imagine Siri through a phone or tablet will allow you to voice control an Airplay 2 source and destination. There have been no announcements that Sonos will be directly controlled by either Siri or a HomePod device.
The Best Apple HomePod Alternatives. Maybe you're looking for a speaker that works with more music streaming services and inputs, or one with a more established voice assistant. These are our top picks for high quality-audio smart speakers: https://www.howtoisolve.com/best-homepod-alternatives/
Just got my HomePod today. Given the lack of AirPlay 2, I was able to hack together a full Sonos system playing together with a single HomePod.
This was done by playing music in iTunes on my Mac (which supports multiple speakers). I sent one source to my Apple TV which has a Playbar that's synced with all the other Sonos speakers in the house. Meanwhile, the HomePods also played.
Unfortunately, it wasn't synced perfectly so it's not a viable option.

Looking forward to AirPlay 2 support from both Apple and Sonos. I think it will be possible to link a stereo pair of HomePods to other Sonos speakers through AirPlay 2 Home app and then use Hey Siri via the HomePods to play music to all Sonos speakers.
I just got my HomePod and it blows away my stereo paired Sonos Ones. Much more detail and quality bass. The ones have poor detail and muddy bass and fall apart at higher volumes or anything above about 30 or 40 percent volume.
The Sonos will be going on Craigslist.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I just got my HomePod and it blows away my stereo paired Sonos Ones. Much more detail and quality bass. The ones have poor detail and muddy bass and fall apart at higher volumes or anything above about 30 or 40 percent volume.
The Sonos will be going on Craigslist.

Just curious, what types of music did you listen to to compare? I have a Sonos pair and am debating whether to get a homepod for a different room or another One.
I have some favorite test songs
Adele rolling in the deep, and some Daft Punk with wide variations in sound, then some classical with lots of detail. I have Kef LS50W speakers in the living room so I'm used to more detail than I got from the Sonos One. Of course those are $2200 speakers.
I've seen several reviews both the Verge and this one that say the HomePod is better than a Play 5.
https:ro/9to5mac.com/2018/02/09/homepod-review-diary/
I can't wait to get a second one to stereo pair and that capability is happening very soon.
I pay for Apple Music, Tidal, and Pandora, plus use Roon.
I can select airplay fom the Tidal and pandora apps then control tracks, volume, etc by voice. Fine with me.
Roon talks to it because of airplay.
I'm also glad to get off Alexa and on to Homekit for privacy reasons. Siri is way better than it used to be and works fine for me to control lights etc. It's been more reliable than Alexa by the Sonos One.
The Sonos One sounds ok for the price but not great.
Also check this out for test track ideas
https://www.whathifi.com/features/10-best-songs-to-test-your-speakers
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks!
I just got my HomePod and it blows away my stereo paired Sonos Ones.
So now, let the games begin:-). There are HomePod reviews out there already that say just the opposite.

In this case, the waters will always be muddied by the different speaker placement philosophies. Even though Apple claims to use reflected sound to accommodate placement by the wall, direct sound projection as the Ones largely provide, will trump that for listening to a pair in the stereo sweet spot is what I suspect. On the other hand, Sonos units are not designed to be placed closer to room centres and then deliver sound all around them, where HomePods should easily win.

A lot also depends on the accumulated user experience that any user relies on for their definition of what is good sound.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
The Best Apple HomePod Alternatives. Maybe you're looking for a speaker that works with more music streaming services and inputs, or one with a more established voice assistant. These are our top picks for high quality-audio smart speakers: https://www.howtoisolve.com/best-homepod-alternatives/

That was a pretty silly list. The echo show?