sonos with alexa issue playing amazon music

• 21 July 2022
  • 1 reply

I have two Sonos Ones, both with Amazon alexa enabled. Have had no problems for a year. Over the past month, now when I ask Alexa “play country music”, she starts streaming from Amazon, plays the intro commercial like “hello this is country star x, your listening to top country heat radio”… then repeats the same intro over and over and never actually plays music. 

I have (1) removed all Sonos devices from Alexa.amazon.com. (2) disabled the Alexa sonos skill, (3) turned off the Alexa voice service in each Sonos, (4) then went back thru the entire setup to re-enable Alexa. Alexa works, will respond to anything I ask, but gets stuck playing any music from Amazon.

thoughts on why this new issue is popping up on multiple devices?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

This is probably a question better asked with Amazon Alexa support/community.  Your voice command is getting passed to the Alexa cloud servers, which will decide what specific music station/song/playlist to tell your Sonos to play.   Sonos doesn’t interpret your command.

If I had to guess, there’s some Alexa algorithm that’s convinced you want to play country heat.  or what have you. Not sure why it gets stuck on commercials.  I had something similar with a request to play “80s music” always playing  a” top country song of the 80s” playlist. So I started getting more specific with “80s pop music” or “80s rock”, and Alexa doesn’t think I want to hear 80s country anymore.