Answered

Sonos Voice Control Questions

• 21 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
  1. Does SONOS still sell speakers with Alexa built in? Current product list does not indicate this. I believe the SONOS One did this but apparently no longer offered.
  2. If so, can a SONOS speaker with Alexa voice control built in play YouTube music service?
  3. Did Amazon support YouTube music service directly (not Bluetooth) as this and other articles I read seem to indicate? https://www.ac3filter.net/can-you-play-youtube-music-on-alexa/ It certainly does not work on my new premium echo non-SONOS devices.

Bottom line - I’m looking for a way to play YouTube music on SONOS directed from voice control from either a standalone echo device or that built-in to the SONOS speaker. I don’t do Google Home or Apple though - just SONOS, Android and Amazon stuff.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by jgatie 21 January 2024, 18:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The Beam, Arc, Ray, and Era 100/300 speakers support Alexa.  However, YouTube music cannot be controlled via Alexa.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Did you happen to look at the link I shown? Did Alexa used to support YouTube or was this and another post likely just explaining how it “should” be setup?

Did you happen to look at the link I shown? Did Alexa used to support YouTube or was this and another post likely just explaining how it “should” be setup?

You cannot ‘load’ YouTube Music (artists/albums/playlist etc.) to play on a Sonos device using Amazon Alexa (that’s never been the case IIRC), but once a YTM (artists/albums/playlist etc.) has been manually loaded to the room/group queue, then Alexa can be used for play/pause/skipping tracks, or for adjusting/muting volume etc. it’s a little limited compared to other music services, which the Amazon Alexa assistant does support, such as Amazon Music, Deezer, Spotify, Apple Music etc.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

You cannot ‘load’ YouTube Music (artists/albums/playlist etc.) to play on a Sonos device using Amazon Alexa (that’s never been the case IIRC), but once a YTM (artists/albums/playlist etc.) has been manually loaded to the room/group queue, then Alexa can be used for play/pause/skipping tracks, or for adjusting/muting volume etc. it’s a little limited compared to other music services, which the Amazon Alexa assistant does support, such as Amazon Music, Deezer, Spotify, Apple Music etc.

Thx. I was hopeful only because of the description in the linked article describing adding the YTM service like how should have been possible with plain Alexa speakers were Amazon and Google cooperating nicely. My other hope was that the SONOS w/ the built-in Alexa did not have that same restriction as the standalone Echo devices. Currently I have both AM and YTM but was hoping to drop Amazon since YTM also included the videos I wanted.

Thx. I was hopeful only because of the description in the linked article describing adding the YTM service like how should have been possible with plain Alexa speakers were Amazon and Google cooperating nicely. My other hope was that the SONOS w/ the built-in Alexa did not have that same restriction as the standalone Echo devices. Currently I have both AM and YTM but was hoping to drop Amazon since YTM also included the videos I wanted.

As an example, the article you linked to earlier mentions this…

1. Open the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
  2. Tap on the “Menu” button in the top left corner of the screen.
  3. Select “Settings” from the list of options.
  4. Scroll down and select “Music & Podcasts.”
  5. Tap on “Link New Service.”
  6. Select “YouTube Music” from the list of options.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions to link your YouTube Music account to your Alexa app.

At step 6 there is no YouTube Music service in the list - nor is there a YTM skill, as far as I can see in my Amazon Alexa App? - I’ve also never seen anyone here in the Sonos community mention that they have set YTM as their default Music service for their Alexa voice assistant.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I actually found two such articles claiming one could select YTM as a service. All I can conclude is they assumed the service would be there, w/o actually trying it. It certainly was not available on my latest version Echo device. Thx for your response.