Sonos Surround sound problem

• 22 October 2017
  • 2 replies

I have a sono soundbar and 2 play ones in my front room setup to listen to surround sound movies, this works perfect..

But my sound bar and tv mains lead is behind the flat screan on a Wi-fi switch so this all turns off together witch means the rear play ones can’t be used at all for music because of the way Sonos is setup in this format the play ones need to connect to the soundbar to play any sound.

Now my question is if I replace the play ones with the new play ones with Alexa built in would I beable to have them setup the same and would they play without the sound bar

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Kojack. Welcome to the community. The moment you create a home-theatre setup, the PLAY:1's (or indeed any devices used as rear speakers) will be rendered inoperable when the master (i.e. the PLAYBAR) is unplugged. The SONOS One would be no different in this respect. The only way around this is to remove the rear speakers as surrounds prior to disconnecting the PLAYBAR from power.
Yeah I had a strong feeling they’d be the same..but Ill end up swapping the play1s for new ones just for the amazon music

the only option is to leave my bar plugged in but thats a bit daft.. even my rears are connected with a inline sonoff connector to disconnect with “Alexa speakers Off”