Sonos speaker won't play using Alexa.

• 19 July 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi, I can't seem to get Sonos to play a song when I tell Alexa, "Play XX in the Kitchen" - Here is some additional information. Both Amazon Alexa and Sonos do work fine independently. I have enabled the Sonos skill in the Amazon Alexa app. I have set up Sonos in the '"Kitchen". Sonos does work fine if I control Sonos from my Sonos App. However, when I tell Alexa to play a song in tn the "Kitchen", she seems to accept the command perfectly but no sound comes out of the speaker. Any ideas? Additionally, I recently moved, so not sure if that should make a difference. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Check your smart devices in the Alexa app. Make sure there are no duplicate names. Alexa may be sending the commands to the wrong device.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
You mention you have "set up Sonos in the "kitchen" Do you mean you've named it kitchen or you put the speaker in a 'Group' named Kitchen? When you send a play command, you need to reference the speaker name, not the group name. So open the Alexa app on your phone and go to Menu (upper left) and select Smart Home. On the Devices tab you should see your Sonos speakers listed there - hopefully one is called Kitchen. If that's correct then check Groups tab. If you have a Group labeled Kitchen try killing that and just working with the Device only. If you don't have any Groups created and you do indeed have a Sonos speaker named Kitchen and it's not working, I'd disable the Sonos skill and re-eneable and run discovery again.