Question

Sonos speaker names in Alexa

• 1 November 2017
  • 1 reply

I’ve been able to successfully use Alexa (4 dots) to control Sonos (7 speakers) using sw v 8 since it’s release - it’s been flawless. The wheels came off yesterday when I installed 8.1. Today’s 8.1.1 hasn’t fixed it. Now stuck with single track playback from albums, refusal to play different rooms, etc. Tech Support supposedly looking at it :-(

I’m wondering if I have an IP address issue, ie do the dots remember the IP address at speaker discovery or do they purely use the speaker name when handing the Alexa voice command across from the Amazon cloud to the Sonos cloud? The speakers have historically been on DHCP and have likely changed ip address at or around the time of the update and wonder if this is contributing to the issue?

I’ve since allocated static up addresses to ensure a static/stable configuration. Related to this I notice references in these threads to “forgetting” speakers in the Alexa App /Amazon. I’d like to do this so I can ensure Alexa isnt holding onto old up addresses but I can only see “disable device” in the Alexa app and an option to deregister dots on the website. Is it possible to properly forget and rediscover Sonos speakers in the app? If so, how?

Thanks, Rob ...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Rob

Amazon removed the Forget All option in their Android and iOS apps but I can still use this functionality on the web (alexa.amazon.co.uk)

The other thing to try is to disable the Sonos skill and then Enable,