Answered

Sonos Port won't play with Alexa devices

• 7 September 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hey guys! I just purchased my Sonos Port yesterday with the intention of using it in conjunction with my Alexa Devises and creating a whole-home audio system. I have an Echo Dot that I wanted to use in the living room to control the Sonos Port, and Alexa speakers throughout the house.

I enabled the skill for Sonos in the Alexa App. I made the Sonos Port as the “Preferred Speaker” in the room in the Alexa app, but when I go to change the echo dot speaker to use the “Preferred Speaker” (The Sonos) it doesn’t work. It still plays on the Echo Dot speaker. I tried it on my other Alexa devises and it does the same thing. On top of this I cant add the Sonos Port to a group through the Alexa app to accomplish the whole home audio I’m looking for. According to Sonos it should be able to work. 

The whole reason for getting the Sonos was not only to play my online library though my surround sound, but to have whole home audio in the house. I have an Alexa Amp that gave me the whole home audio setup, but the Alexa app is so terrible compared to the Sonos app. Very little control into your online library. 

Has anyone encountered this issue or know any troubleshooting for this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by John B 9 September 2020, 20:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @shadsikes1.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

What is the music service you use, have you tried different music services and commands but still get the same behavior?

Kindly reproduce the issue then submit a diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd start by reviewing your system and status of the device to see if there’s anything causing this issue.

You may also refer to the following articles for more information:

Set up an Amazon Alexa device to control Sonos

Alexa Groups and Sonos

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Hi. I think you are trying to do the impossible. You cannot group Sonos and Echo devices to play in sync together and nowhere does Sonos suggest you can. 

You have to be all in with Echos or Sonos, not a mix. 

Echo Dots are a means for adding voice control to Sonos speakers, but that's about it.