Sonos Playbar ok with tv but Alexa doesn't recognize Sonos and skill is enabled

• 27 February 2021
  • 7 replies

This all used to work.  Now it doesn’t.  Or maybe my memory has gone.  My playbar is connected to my tv and volume works fine when watching tv.  But I could have sworn that I could say “Alexa, play my music on Sonos” and it would play my music.  The Alexa Sonos skill is enabled.  But when I ask Alexa to play my music on Sonos, it says “Shuffling your music on Amazon Music” but nothing comes out of the playbar.  Nothing comes out of anywhere (no echo/dot devices  play anything which is expected).  I’m at a loss.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

What “room” is your Playbar associated with in the Sonos app? You may want to disable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and re-enable it. Do you see your Playbar on the device list in the Alexa app?

I added the device as a speaker and I’m trying to enable it but it says to link it to my Sonos acct.  so alexa app says to register my speaker by going to Sonos which I did and registering my product (I’m using my iPad) by clicking on more...settings… account settings.  So I click on continue and my Sonos sign on screen appears.  I sign on and get the Register your speaker page.  Here is a pic of that page.  

You need to link speakers to your wendellbat@aol.com Sonos account before you can add this skill.

Open the Sonos app on a mobile device, and go to More > Settings > Account Settings. (If you don't see Sonos Account, your Sonos system needs an update.)

Sign in to a different accountI've fixed the problem

i open the Sonos app and it takes me to the Settings page.  There is no selection for Account Settings.  Under Settings you can click on Select your Product or Join Nearby System.  I click on Select Your Product and it starts looking and doesn’t find the speaker which is on because I’m watching tv and it’s connected to my tv.  

dead end.

Userlevel 7

What “room” is your Playbar associated with in the Sonos app?

The Alexa app should automatically detect your Playbar. Do you see the Playbar listed in the device list in the Alexa app?

No, it’s not listed as a device in Alexa and I have no groups defined, just devices.  The playbar is connected to my tv via a cable and the playbar works fine with my tv.  What I want to do is tell Alexa to play my music list I have on Amazon on my Sonos.  I power on my Sonos, tell Alexa play my music on Sonos, and Alexa says I didn’t find anything on my device list as Sonos.  I try to set it up but can’t.  

Userlevel 7

Do you see the Playbar in the Sonos app? If so, what room is it associated with?

Have you added the Sonos skill in the Alexa app?

Yes, I see the playbar listed under Systems in the Sonos app.  It says Playbar Sonos Living.  I can’t get the “speaker” enabled in Alexa.

Userlevel 7

Can you post a screenshot of the Sonos app that lists the Playbar?

Follow these steps to enable the Sonos skill and discover the Playbar in the Alexa app: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en_US