Question

Sonos Play One does not appear under Alexa enabled devices (it shows up as a Sonos speaker) but alexa app doesnt seem to know it has Alexa inside.

• 5 November 2017
  • 10 replies

Sonos Play One does not appear under Alexa enabled devices (it shows up as a Sonos speaker) but alexa app doesnt seem to know it has Alexa inside.

The play One play music from the app, and works normally as a play1 type speaker, but alexa doesnt function at all. (I have the Alexa app set up with 2 other Dots, Philips Hue, Savant (AV). but the Play One built in Alexa just seem dead to the world.

Help me Sonos !

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Have you enabled voice services for the Sonos One in the Sonos app settings?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Also, have you added the Sonos skill within the Alexa app?
I’m having the same issue! I’ve enabled voice controls and enabled the skill yet, no luck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’m having the same issue! I’ve enabled voice controls and enabled the skill yet, no luck.

Sorry if this is too simple but can you please check that you have added the skill to the same amazon account/email address that you've linked to your Sonos account?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Also i would say that while the sonos one has alexa inside it is not considered an "alexa enable device" by what amazon alexa's definition of those words. Alexa enabled device is one that you can use in smart groups to make that group be "alexa enabled".

Now if you have a simple setup problem that you haven't enabled the sonos skill then a quick way to see if you setup the Sonos One correctly should be to go to your settings app and find out if you see a device called "[You name]'s Sonos One" followed by another device named what you called your sonos to be i.e. "bedroom" or "bedroom sonos" whatever it is you called it when you first set it up.
You refer to you having a Play 1. As I understand it a Sonos Play 1 is just a speaker. A Sonos One has Alexa.
Different animals as far as I know. S6
i have the same issue. I have a echo dot and a sonos one and I can only see the echo dot as Alexa-enabled device. i cant create groups because of that.
Also i would say that while the sonos one has alexa inside it is not considered an "alexa enable device" by what amazon alexa's definition of those words. Alexa enabled device is one that you can use in smart groups to make that group be "alexa enabled".

Now if you have a simple setup problem that you haven't enabled the sonos skill then a quick way to see if you setup the Sonos One correctly should be to go to your settings app and find out if you see a device called "[You name]'s Sonos One" followed by another device named what you called your sonos to be i.e. "bedroom" or "bedroom sonos" whatever it is you called it when you first set it up.

This is the only correct response to the OP. The one doesn't show up like Angel says. So you can't make it the master of a group. E.g. Put it in the living room and tell it to turn the lights off. You have to specify each light, or put them in a group.
I’m not sure if this is an Amazon thing or Sonos, likely Amazon. I’ve read reports that 3rd party Alexa devices don’t show up under Alexa-Enabled devices.
I found a workaround.

Download the free Yonomi app.
Set up an account, get it to search for your Sonos & Alexa (should be fairly simple), then connect/authorise it with your Alexa account.
Then setup a Sonos routine in Yonomi (such as Pause Sonos).
In the Alexa app, get it to search for new devices. It may or may not come back that it found anything (sometimes doesn't, sometimes says it found a new scene), either way you should now have a new scene (your Yonomi routine) listed when you try to setup an Alexa routine.
e.g. I have an Alexa routine that pauses my Sonos, turns down the room radiator and switches on the lights in another room. The Sonos part is where it calls the Yonomi app.